Types of Aid

Financial aid consists of grants, loans, jobs, and scholarships that help offset the cost of educational expenses. Awards can come from federal, state, local, or private sources. See links below to explore these additional funding options more in depth:


Grant programs provide assistance to students who qualify and do not have to be repaid.

Federal Pell Grant

  • Must be an undergraduate student who does not have a Bachelor’s or a professional degree.
    • Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility - The amount of Federal Pell Grant funds a student may receive over his or her lifetime is limited by a new federal law to be the equivalent of six years of Pell Grant funding. To determine how much Pell you have used and what you have remaining, visit Calculating Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

  • Given to help low-income undergraduate students finance the cost of their education.

Washington College Grant

  • Must be an undergraduate student who does not have a Bachelor’s or a professional degree, is a Washington state resident, and meets income guidelines.

College Bound Scholarship

  • Must be an undergraduate student who does not have a Bachelor’s or a professional degree, is a Washington state resident, and meets income and College Bound Scholarship guidelines. 

Opportunity Grant

  • Students must apply for the Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC) Opportunity Grant by filling out and submitting an application to the Financial Aid Office. A notice will be posted around campus when the grant becomes available.
  • Students who meet all of the criteria will be awarded the Opportunity Grant prioritized in the order that they applied.

Loan programs supported by the federal government or private entities allow students and parents to borrow funds to pay for school expenses. Loans must be repaid.

Direct Subsidized Loans

  • Students with financial need may obtain direct subsidized loans with low interest rates and flexible repayment plans after graduation. No interest is charged while you are in school or during deferment periods.

Direct Unsubsidized Loans

  • Do not require you to demonstrate financial need. Low fixed interest rate and flexible repayment plans after graduation. Interest begins accruing as soon as funds are received.

Direct PLUS Loans

  • Can be applied for by parents of dependent students to help cover the cost of their child’s tuition/living expenses. The dependent student must have a completed FAFSA on file. PLUS Loans have low fixed interest rates and flexible repayment plans. For more info, visit https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/loans/plus. To apply for a PLUS loan, parents will need to complete the online application at studentloans.gov.

Alternative Loans

  • Private loans are used by families to help pay the cost of attending college. They should only be considered after all other forms of funding have been exhausted. There are many alternative loans offered to students. Please research and choose the best option for you. Contact the Financial Aid Office when you have secured a loan as these loans require school certification.

For a current list of potential sources, visit private loan options. To view lender application disclosures, select the appropriate links: Sallie Mae or Wells Fargo. For additional information, see the Financial Aid Code of Conduct.

Institutional Tool Loans

  • Thanks to the generosity of donors, Perry Technical Institute maintains a limited amount of funds for students who have excellent or no credit history and have a hardship getting approved for a parent/alternative loan. For information, contact Financial Aid at financialaid@perrytech.edu or 509-453-0374.

If you meet the criteria, there are other options which can help pay for school.

Federal Work Study

  • The Federal Work Study Program provides students with funds for working part-time on or off campus. Please notify the Financial Aid Office if you are interested in being placed on the waitlist for a job opening. Jobs are offered on a first come first serve basis.

Worker Retraining Grant

  • The Washington Worker Retraining (WRT) Program plays a major role in Washington State's economic development by providing funds for eligible dislocated and unemployed workers in training or retraining that will assist them in regaining employment. You may be eligible for the Worker Retraining Grant, check out all the eligibility categories.

If you are eligible or think you might be eligible contact the Financial Aid Office. (Proof of eligibility must be provided. Other documents will be requested as needed.)

Outside Funding Assistance

  • There are many outside funding agencies that may be able to assist you with tuition, books or tools.. If you can answer yes to any of the circumstances bulleted below please contact our program student specialist for more information:
  • Veteran
  • Lack of GED or High School Diploma
  • Eligible to receive, are receiving or exhausted unemployment benefits
  • Laid off from a permanent full time position
  • Unemployed for more than 27 weeks or 12 months
  • Receiving TANF/food stamps
  • Homeless
  • Season farm worker
  • Displaced homemaker
  • Tribal member
  • Limited English proficiency
  • Disability
  • Non-Custodial parent
  • Single parent
  • Low income
  • Foster care
  • Barriers to employment

How and When Financial Aid Will Be Disbursed 

Financial aid is disbursed electronically into your PTI student account. Federal Loan, Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, State Need Grant, College Bound Scholarship, and State Opportunity Grant funds should be credited to your account one week after the start of the term. Worker Retraining Grant funds should be credited to your account no later than six weeks after the start of the term. For timing on other aid, please contact the Financial Aid Office.

How and When Excess Funds Will Be Released

Financial aid funds are first applied to your student tuition account. If a credit balance is created on your student account, excess funds will be released to you unless you authorize PTI to hold and manage your credit balance. Direct deposit funds are disbursed weekly and paper checks are only disbursed twice a month. Any excess funds released may result in a future payment due.

For more information, click here: Check Policy.


View Veteran Education Benefits


View Scholarship Information

Click here for important information about the educational debt, earnings, and completion rates of students who attended Perry Technical Institute.

©2020 Perry Technical Institute Careers at Perry Tech Contact Policies


2011 W. Washington Ave Yakima, WA 98903 USA 509-453-0374