Employer: Yakima Valley Libraries
Job Purpose and Summary
The Accounting-Payroll Specialist performs a variety of confidential and advanced technical payroll functions for the Yakima Valley Libraries. They are responsible for building and maintaining strong and collaborative relationships with colleagues across YVL to ensure effective and timely implementation of payroll, general ledger, and purchasing. They may also recommend policy for issues affecting their assigned areas. Supervision Received and Exercised Receives general direction from assigned management and may assist in training other accounting staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Any of the following duties may be performed. These examples are not necessarily
performed by all incumbents, however, and do not include all specific tasks an incumbent
may be expected to perform.
1. Assures that payroll records are accurately maintained, in compliance with YVL and State regulations per YVL and State requirements.
2. Performs all payroll functions on time.
3. Maintains confidentiality of library and employee information.
4. Prepares and submits quarterly payroll reports, i.e. L&I, Employment Security, PFML, and the 941.
5. Sets up new employees and makes changes to current employees in the payroll system, as needed.
6. Works closely with HR assistant to insure employee benefits are withheld on time and correctly.
7. May assist in the preparation of the annual payroll budget under the general direction of the assigned management.
8. May assist assigned management in the preparation of payroll related financial reports and schedules.
9. Works with assigned management and the State Auditor’s Office during bi-annual audits.
10. Provides payroll functions, documentation, and reconciliation schedules.
11. Maintains knowledge of current trends, laws, and developments in all areas of payroll accounting and compliance.
12. Assists assigned management in maintaining up-to-date payroll procedures; serve as a resource to library staff for payroll related questions and problems, in the absence of the Assigned management and may provide necessary training to library system staff.
13. Assists accounting department with preparation of purchase orders and purchasing.
14. Maintains effective working relationships with library staff members, the Library Board of Trustees, County officials/staff, and vendors.
15. Establishes and maintains effective lines of communication within the Yakima Valley Libraries.
16. Works as backup on all A/P and A/R functions.
17. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Associates degree in business administration, finance, accounting, or a related discipline. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
2. Three years’ experience in a payroll work position, including two years’ experience in public sector finance, payroll, or accounting.
3. In lieu of 1-2, equivalent technical training, education, and/or experience may be substituted.
1. Current and complex principles and practices of public sector payroll, finance, and accounting, including budget preparation and purchasing.
2. Pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, regulations, and ordinances as well as all Yakima Valley Library policies and procedures including BARS Cash, IRS, local, state, and federal regulatory agencies.
3. State and federal law governing industrial insurance, employment taxes, and retirement systems.
4. Springbrook or similar integrated payroll and business software system.
5. Principles and practices of organization, and administration of payroll.
6. Principles and practices of goal setting and project management.
7. Current office methods, equipment, practices and procedures including PC usage and familiarity with word processing, spreadsheet and other office productivity and personal computer applications, emailing systems, and web-based searching.
1. Keyboarding, word processing or entering data at a speed and accuracy level necessary for successful job performance.
2. Developing and maintaining good working relationships.
3. Effective written and verbal communications, including public speaking.
1. Gain thorough knowledge of Yakima Valley Library’s policies, procedures and programs.
2. Represent Yakima Valley Library in a positive, responsive manner to the Library Board of Trustees, staff, public, volunteers, and supporters.
3. Keep payroll information in a confidential manner.
4. Analyze complex problems, evaluate alternatives, and implement changes.
5. Learn and practice the principles of intellectual freedom.
6. Establish priorities and organize workload; manage time effectively and remain on task despite interruptions.
7. Establish and maintain a pleasant and productive working atmosphere and maintain composure and work under the stress of handling several tasks at one time.
8. Keep all relevant parties informed of all major issues and to recommend changes as appropriate.
9. Work and communicate effectively with diverse staff in numerous locations in order to accomplish library goals and objectives.
10. Operate relevant computer systems, including hardware and software and office machines.
11. Obtain and maintain a valid Washington driver’s license.
12. Attend work on a regular and dependable basis.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
1. Normally seated, standing or walking at will.
2. Normal physical activity including some bending, pushing, pulling, and lifting and carrying, which may range up to 45 lbs. upon occasion.
3. Keyboarding and working at a computer monitor for extended periods required.
4. Phone usage, reading, speaking, and listening required.
5. Interaction with library system staff, library customers, other libraries, agencies and organizations, or vendors will be necessary to resolve situations or problems.
6. Some early morning, and evening work may be required occasionally.
Application Method: Apply online https://www.yvl.org/about-us/employment-opportunities/current-positions/
Base Pay: : $19.06 – $27.44 per hour, DOE
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903