Employer: Central Washington University
Central Washington University is recruiting an Assistant to the Dean (Secretary Senior) to join our College of Education and Professional Studies (CEPS) Dean Operating team in Ellensburg, Washington. This role is an important member of our team as they enhance for the University. The role is a campus-based position, which means you get to see the lives you are impacting. We're offering a salary, depending on experience, from $36,072 - $47,688 annually plus the awesome CWU benefits.
Who we are:
We are a team of individuals committed to Changing Students' Lives. No matter what job, each of us plays a part in supporting and empowering our students to fulfill their dreams.
Working in higher education provides career growth and career choice. Think of a university campus like a mini city, operating across 380 acres. You'll find diverse academics, libraries, athletics and sporting events, full service and quick serve dining, conferences and events from small to large, recreation centers, housing, health services, police and public safety for the campus population of ~10,000 students.
Central Washington University has been named a Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program Top Producing Institution for the 2022-2023 academic year. In addition, for the seventh time in eight years, CWU is a recipient of the prestigious Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award from INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine. Come join us on our journey to encourage, inspire, and create spaces where all identities thrive on campus.
Tour our campus in Ellensburg here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjdhOegDa9A.
What we offer:
Our investment in you begins the day you join our team, a healthy and successful future for you is important to us. We offer medical, dental, life and disability insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, tuition assistance for you and your dependents, discounts across town, an employee assistance program for individualized counseling, and a wellness incentive program. Learn more: CWU Benefits, Perks & Discounts Overview.
The Secretary Senior provides secretarial assistance to the Dean, Associate Deans and the Administrative Specialist of the College of Education and Professional Studies (CEPS), as well as support for the college. This includes responding to inquiries regarding the Dean's office and its programs; CEPS and CWU policies and procedures; and compiling, composing, routing, and tracking correspondence, contracts, and student forms. This position attends and schedules meetings, creates and distributes minutes; and produces events for the Dean's office and CEPS. All employees are expected to support CWU's commitment to diversity and to bring and support inclusion into the university environment.
- Perform complex word processing tasks such as merging and sorting, integrating text with graphics. Create and maintain spreadsheets involving the development of formulas; combine files to create reports and recommends appropriate display of information.
- Enter data in systems or databases as needed.
- Makes travel arrangements, maintains records of travel itineraries; compiles final expense reports.
- Maintain, monitor, and evaluate departmental budget or fiscal records, processes requisitions.
- Process foundation expense requests for Dean's signature and authorization.
- Prepare and maintain business, administrative and academic reports and records of a highly complex nature.
- Develop and maintain internal record keeping systems, keeping within the guidelines set by Business Services and Contracts record retention guidelines.
- Establish, maintain, revise and update electronic and manual files including college level Dean's office personnel files.
- Assist in maintaining database for faculty for academic year assignments.
- Process approved documents for mail merges to create contracts and Dean's academic letters quarterly.
- Receive and process student academic forms, substitutions and cooperative agreements.
- Process departmental meal memo authorizations.
- Manage the Dean and Associate Dean's signature files.
- Schedule and arrange meetings; make room reservations.
- Plan, schedule and coordinate college retreats and college wide annual meetings and functions.
- Schedule and set up meeting in the Dean's suite and for CEPS committees
- Answer telephone(s), instant messaging and email, promptly responding to inquiries; receive and refer visitors including university personnel, students, and/or the public. Refer messages.
- Independently research, respond to and resolve complex questions, problems, and issues as they arise.
- Stay abreast of new and revised university procedures by attending staff development and training sessions.
- Work with a wide variety of sensitive and confidential information.
- Maintain Dean and Associate Dean's calendars.
- Prepare agendas for CEPS meetings, attend meetings, take and distribute minutes and additional documentation.
- Prepare and submit Board of Trustee agenda items.
- Maintain records of incoming and outgoing correspondence, faculty and business contracts and follow up on work in progress.
- Execute queries to provide academic data as requested.
- Orders supplies, equipment, printing, and arranges for facility and equipment maintenance and repair contracts and services.
- Update and maintain CEPS website and social media accounts using best practices as determined by Public Affairs and in accordance with CWU policy.
- Write and/or edit social media posts received from other CEPS offices and departments.
- Assist Administrative Specialist with faculty contracts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Increasingly responsible experience in office/clerical, secretarial, and bookkeeping
Experience that demonstrates the ability to use Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel) and/or similar software applications to create complex documents, create, modify, and format spreadsheets, and prepare professional presentations
Demonstrated ability to effectively organize multiple assignments, sometimes of a complex nature or involving competing priorities, to produce work products that are accurate, thorough, and on time
Ability to write and speak effectively, establish and maintain cooperative relationships with others and contribute to a healthy work environment
Demonstrated willingness and/or experience working with students and/or co-workers from a wide range of abilities, backgrounds and experiences
OR applicable combination of education and/or experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position
Experience utilizing Microsoft Access and PowerPoint software to create queries, forms, reports and presentations
Proficiency with PeopleSoft (finance, human resources, business operations) and/or similar system
Experience with various social media such as Facebook, etc.
Ability to incorporate multicultural perspectives and issues into everyday conversations
A record of promoting inclusivity in the work environment
Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
Don't meet every single requirement? At CWU we're dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you're excited about this role but your experience doesn't align perfectly with every requirement, we encourage you to apply anyway. This may be the job for you!
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary: This position is based on the range 35 of the Washington State Classification Listing, which has a minimum annual salary of $36,072 and maximum annual salary of $47,688. In accordance with RCW 49.58.110, the above salary reflects the full salary range for this position. Individual placement within the range is based on the candidate's current experience, education, skills, and abilities related to the position.
Schedule/Appointment: Monday - Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm (1 hour lunch)
Working Conditions: Work is performed in an indoor office setting with frequent in-person interactions. It is essential to be able to remain at a desk/computer workstation for prolonged periods of time, perform extensive data entry and other computer-related tasks and create/maintain filing systems for departmental records. Some evening or weekend work and/or occasional travel may be required.
Benefits: CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance, along with vacation and sick leave plans depending on employment classification. For additional information please visit: CWU Benefits, Perks & Discounts Overview.
An employee of CWU may be eligible for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program if the employee has student loans. To learn more, visit: https://ofm.wa.gov/state-human-resources/public-service-loan-forgiveness-program.
How To Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach:
A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting;
Resume including work history, education, training; and
Contact information for three professional references.
Screening Begins: November 27, 2023
**Priority will be given to applications received by the screening date. Incomplete applications may not be considered.
Name: Beth Romero
Title: Administrative Assistant
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (509) 963-2662
Please contact Human Resources at [email protected] or 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.
Conditions of Employment
Background Check/Reference Check Process:
Prior to employment, final candidate(s) will be required to sign a Sexual Misconduct disclosure in pursuant to RCW 28B.112.080 and submit to a background check. All information obtained through background investigations will be strictly confidential and revealed only to those required to have access.
Notice to Prospective Employees:
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Statement
Central Washington University is an EEO/AA/Title IX Institution. Central Washington University's policies and practices affirm and actively promote the rights of all individuals to equal opportunity in education and employment. Discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, age, marital status, disability, or status as a protected veteran is prohibited. The university provides an internal procedure for reporting discrimination and affords protection against retaliation for participating in the complaint process. Central Washington University complies with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and executive orders including when soliciting bids and in the fulfillment of all contracts with governmental agencies. Direct related inquiries to Civil Rights Compliance, 202 Barge Hall, Ellensburg, WA 98926-7501; Telephone 509-963-2050; or email [email protected].
Justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion are all core to CWU's mission, vision and values to increase access to higher education for everyone regardless of identity. At CWU we work to ensure everyone's voice is not only heard but recognized and valued. We consistently strive to provide a safe, welcoming, and forward-thinking institution for all employees, students, and community members.
Central Washington University provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual with a disability. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact Human Resources at [email protected] or call 509-963-1202. This job announcement and other material on this site will be made available in alternate formats upon request to an individual with a disability.
Annual Security and Fire Safety Report (Clery Act)
For the Central Washington University Annual Security and Fire Safety Report (i.e. Clery Report) which includes statistics about reported crimes and information about campus security policies, available online here or call CWU Police and Parking Services at 509-963-2959 for a paper copy.
Contact Person: Beth Romero - Administrative Assistant
Email: [email protected]
Application Method: Apply online https://cwuhrprdcg.peoplesoft.cwu.edu/psc/careers/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=5946&PostingSeq=1
Base Pay: $36,072.00 - $47,688.00 Annually
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903