Employer: Yakima School District
Directly Responsible To: Executive Director of Communications and Engagement
· AA degree and/or clerical training certificate required.
· Bilingual and biliterate (English/Spanish) required. Demonstrated fluency and competency as measured through the STAMP PRO Bilingual (English/Spanish) Test. For this position, level 6 of 8 levels is required.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Spanish required.
· Ability to make timely decisions appropriate to the situation and guidance provided by law, procedures, District policies, and the Executive Director’s parameters.
· Ability to work effectively under pressure, including frequent interruptions involving many phone calls, front office interruptions, requests for information, and department staff support.
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
· Expert skills in operating computer software programs and the ability to quickly learn and support office machines.
· Knowledge of general administrative support procedures.
· Experience in managing budget protocol tasks.
· Demonstrated ability to EXCEL in customer service and to maintain a positive and professional demeanor even in difficult situations.
· Ability to maintain the highest standard of confidentiality.
· Proof of record of dependability, flexibility, and regular attendance.
Primary Function: This position manages the operation of the Communications and Engagement department office, reporting to and directly supporting the Executive Director of Communications and Engagement The position manages the proper functioning of the physical office and business operations, including multiple budgets, staff travel, meeting room management, office reception, office supply orders, etc. Indirectly supports the budgets and clerical needs of areas within the department, such as Family and Community Engagement, Language Access, Strategic Communications, Native American Education, and Student Engagement.
Other Functions and Responsibilities:
· Serve as a written translation specialist for up to 25% of the weekly workload (as assigned by the Language Access Supervisor). As a bilingual staff member, serve as a “basic” interpreter per district interpretation protocol and the YEOP collective bargaining agreement.
· Cover up to two weeks of the lunch hour for the central services receptionist. Confirm your requested dates to serve in this capacity with your supervisor, then communicate them to the executive assistant to the superintendent.
· Under the guidance and supervision of the Executive Director, implement office operational procedures, train staff on those procedures/expectations, and implement them with consistency.
· Assist the Executive Director of Communications and Engagement in evaluating public relations/marketing goals by pulling necessary information and data in advance of meetings the ED has with stakeholders and district leadership.
· Assist in the daily maintenance of the department project management platform, alerting the Executive Director or his/her delegate to potential issues within the department and the district as a whole.
· Work closely with the Executive Director or his/her delegate to ensure any meeting or travel logistics for the department staff are done thoroughly, completely, and efficiently. Train staff to ensure that the office manager’s protocols are followed consistently so that processes are efficient and of high quality.
· Maintains a toolkit for staff that contains electronic forms, links to processes, etc., for the successful operation of the department.
· In coordination with the Communications Program Manager and Language Access Supervisor, proofread text in English and Spanish and propose corrections for their consideration. Study the preferred style and vocabulary used in the Yakima School District.
· In coordination with the Communications Program Manager, place and track orders for marketing materials, such as posters, banners, and flyers, for various schools and departments.
· Maintain a dashboard of all survey results conducted at YSD so that staff can easily gauge community and staff opinions and attitudes concerning education, students, and the district.
· Maintain (or, in some cases, create and maintain) the following Google calendars: Conference Room, Department Staff OOO Calendar, Surveys, and Editorial Content. Collect content for future year’s calendars.
· Maintain district staff celebrations schedule and communicate it to other YSD office managers.
· Create and maintain a variety of records, forms, documents, and files.
· Compile, create, and process district, state and federal reports as required.
· Respond to inquiries from staff, parents, students, and public agencies.
· Assist other personnel as may be required to ensure an efficient and an effective work environment.
· Support the Family Income Survey process in collaboration with Communications and Engagement Staff and other departments as required.
Expectations for Continued Employment:
· Employment is contingent upon passing the Washington State Patrol and Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Background Check.
· Must maintain punctuality and regular attendance.
· Complete all district pieces of training and professional development offerings as required.
· Attend job-specific pieces of training and professional development as required.
· Grow to and maintain level 8 English/Spanish fluency as measured by the STAMP PRO fluency test.
Application Method: Apply online https://yakimajobs.hrmplus.net/JobOpenings.aspx
Base Pay: $26.02 - $30.43 per hour
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903