The Motor Vehicle Mechanic repairs, rebuilds, or overhauls major assemblies of internal combustion automobiles, buses, trucks or tractors. Diagnose, analyze and troubleshoot vehicle malfunctions and repair problems.
• Maintaining and repairing government vehicles.
• Completing maintenance tickets and repair orders in a timely manner.
• Dispose of waste materials per regulations and applicable laws.
• Stay abreast of latest technology and installation procedures
• Inspects diagnoses and isolates vehicle and equipment malfunctions; troubleshoots, traces and locates defects and/or causes of mechanical problems to determine type and extent of necessary repairs.
• Repairs all assigned vehicles and equipment to ensure they are safe and dependable
• Repairs lighting systems, sirens, wheel bearings, radiators, heating and air-conditioning systems, springs, hydraulic systems, catalytic converters and fuel pumps
• Utilizes on-board computer diagnostic systems and other test equipment in order to test automotive computer control and emission systems; assesses and analyzes malfunctions of machinery using microcomputers, calipers, gauges, and other equipment.
• Interacts with customers to keep them informed of status of vehicles, repairs needed, etc
• Inspects and tests equipment for mechanical defects, and replaces worn parts.
• Removes, replaces, adjusts, or cleans defective parts or components
• Flushes radiators and replaces anti-freeze solutions.
• Perform oil changes, check fluids, diagnose tread wear, replace batteries and trouble-shoot problems. Performs engine tune-ups.
• Utilizes appropriate techniques and procedures in accordance with manufacturer's specification in armoring vehicles as directed.
• High school diploma, technical school, apprenticeship, trade school graduate or equivalent required.
• 3 years minimum experience in the problem diagnosis, repair and maintenance of a wide variety of light, medium, heavy and/or specialized automotive equipment, other heavy equipment, and FAV vehicles.
• Must be knowledgeable of gasoline and diesel vehicle preventive maintenance programs.
• Excellent communication skills with ability to interact at all levels of management and with subordinate team.
• Excellent record of safety operations and working knowledge of safety standards for motor vehicle mechanical and electrical systems.
• Considerable knowledge of the operating systems used in motor vehicles and equipment.
• Considerable knowledge of the practices and tools used in the maintenance and diagnostics of vehicles and equipment.
• Considerable knowledge of computer, electrical, transistorized and other non-mechanical systems and how they tie-in with and affect the operation of mechanical systems.
• Considerable knowledge of the standard tools, equipment, test procedures and practices used in the repair and preventative maintenance of fleet and training vehicles.
• Good interpersonal and customer service skills.
• Ability to diagnose mechanical and related malfunctions.
• Ability to read technical manuals, references and specifications.
• Ability to write routine correspondences, maintenance logs and order forms.
• Must have a valid and current state driver's license.
• Must understand and be able to use Technical Manuals.
• Must be able to complete paperwork associated with vehicle maintenance and repairs.
• Ability to manipulate and use hand tools and hydraulic equipment.
• Ability to work in a team environment.
• Must be able to obtain and maintain facility credentials/authorization. Note: US Citizenship is required for facility credentials/authorization at this work location.
• Passing a pre-employment drug screen and a government background check is required.
• Must be able to successfully pass a National Agency Check (NAC) within 60 days of hire if required and have a valid driver's license.
• Must be available for any shift. Willing to work weekends and other hours as needed.
• Must be able to speak, read, write and understand English.
Contact Person: Robin Henderson
Email: [email protected]
Location: Joint Base Lewis McChord, WA
Application Method: Resume
Base Pay: $27.49 /HR
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903