Employer: Whitman College
Located in the historic community of Walla Walla, Whitman’s vibrant and beautiful tree-lined campus is home to an intellectually diverse, dynamic, welcoming and supportive community of some 500 staff and faculty serving approximately 1,500 students from the local region and across the globe. With exceptional students, accomplished faculty and staff, and a fiercely loyal and growing number of engaged alumni, Whitman College continues to build on its national reputation for academic excellence as one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country.
Whitman College is cultivating a community built on inclusion and belonging. We recognize the value of those who can offer historically underrepresented perspectives and encourage applications from those whose background, knowledge, and insights from lived experience can add to the college’s working and learning environment. Whitman College is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer (EEO) .
The electrician is responsible for the performance of a variety of electrical construction and maintenance work. The work involves journey-level electrical work in the maintenance, repair, and construction of electrical systems on campus. Emphasis is placed on technical knowledge and the adherence to and enforcement of safety precautions and regulations at all times.
- Maintain, repair and install wiring, cables, switches, controls, fuse boxes, breaker panels, instrument panels, distribution panels, buzzer and bell circuits, power and communications circuits. Perform utility locates. May construct new facilities from instructions or blueprints and specifications.
- Maintain, repair and install electric motors, electrical equipment and instruments such as pumps, clocks, lamps, electrical meters, timers, fans, generators, air conditioners, power tools and electrical appliances.
- Install, maintain and repair all campus lighting indoors and outdoors; including egress and exit lighting.
- Inspect and repair electrical systems, communications systems and network wiring including card swipe access and Wi-Fi cabling.
- Drive the service work van, operate bucket trucks as required, load and unload materials and supplies.
- Order materials and supplies necessary to maintain an adequate inventory of materials.
- Work within the safety regulations for federal, state, and Whitman College. Actively participates in the accident prevention program, including attending safety training program.
- Observe safety precautions and procedures at all times, being alert for unsafe conditions and correcting the conditions accordingly.
- Serve as essential personnel, meaning duties are essential to the operations of the College and requires that the position report to campus for work even during full or partial closures, emergencies, inclement weather, etc.
- Utilize Facility Services work order system and organize daily work schedule.
- Provide after hours and weekend on-call coverage as needed.
- Adhere to College policies and guidelines.
- Complete other duties as assigned (e.g. vacancy coverage, inclement weather, moving, furniture set-up, on-call, commencement).
- Consult regularly with Maintenance Supervisor to set project priorities. Assist with other maintenance projects and help other trades as needed.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES
Individual must be able to explain and demonstrate that they possess the knowledge, skills and abilities to safely perform the essential functions of the job described above with or without reasonable accommodation. Specifically,
- Work closely and collaboratively with faculty, students and staff.
- Effectively communicate orally and in writing with others.
- Operate a forklift and mechanical equipment, including power tools.
- Move heavy equipment such as, generators, compressors, motors, and appliances.
- Lift 50 pounds, climb up and down stairs, extension ladders, perform hand digging, and meet normal physical requirements for performing electrician duties.
- Climb up and down and work from step ladders and extension ladders.
- Meet normal physical requirements to perform maintenance duties, including heights above 20 feet.
- Work in confined spaces and use respirator equipment as trained.
- Use computers for emails, creating reports, working on spreadsheets etc.
- Read and understand specifications, electrical diagrams and blueprints.
- Drive and maintain an organized service van.
- Respond to college emergencies as needed.
- Assist all other maintenance trades as needed.
- Positively and actively contribute to the College’s core values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Be reliable and capable of working independently on the assigned shift.
- High School Diploma.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in the electrical field, preferably at a journey-level. Knowledge of tools and related equipment is necessary.
- Knowledge of safety rules and precautions in all phases of electrical work is vital in working with and around high voltages and complex machinery.
- Must possess a Washington valid driver’s license, pass background check and employment physical.
- Trade school training.
- Applicable certifications or licenses.
- Past experience in standard electrical and maintenance practices and procedures in an organization with
extended hours of operation and multiple high-traffic areas such as, higher education, K-12 schools, healthcare.
HIRING SALARY RANGE
Successful applicants can expect to start at:
Electrician - $53,000 - $55,000
Journey-level Electrician - $55,000 - $58,000
Whitman College offers a competitive benefits program that is designed to attract qualified candidates and retain talented employees. Full-time employees enjoy the following benefits:
Basic life, accidental death and dismemberment and long term disability insurances with the capability to elect additional voluntary coverage.
403(b) Defined Contribution Retirement Plan with a 10% matching contribution after eligibility requirements are met.
Paid Time Off: 10 accrued vacation days, 12 accrued sick days, 13 paid holidays.
Tuition Remission – Dependent Children
Employee tuition waiver for one Whitman course per semester.
Employee Assistance Program
At Whitman College, we take seriously the safety of our community. Whitman is a fully vaccinated campus, requiring all employees and students to be up to date with their COVID-19 vaccinations or have an approved exemption. More information can be found here.
DISABILITY ACCOMMODATION FOR JOB CANDIDATES
Contact Human Resources regarding requests for disability accommodation in the employment application process.
Application review will begin on March 7, 2023 and will continue until the position is filled.
Contact Person: Atarah Pinder
Location: Walla Walla, WA
Application Method: https://whitman.bamboohr.com/careers/256
Base Pay: $53,000 - $58,000/year DOQ
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903