WSDOT’s Multimodal Planning and Data Division is currently seeking a self-motivated and engaging journey level IT support professional to serve as a GIS Help Desk Lead. This position independently applies professional level knowledge of geospatial technologies, data management and analysis principles to support end users of the Agency's GIS environment (ArcGlS Online, Enterprise Portal, GeoSpatial Open Data, ArcGlS Server, ArcGlS Desktop, ArcGlS Pro and the WSDOT GIS Workbench) by performing systems and software testing and troubleshooting, integration with current technologies, and new workflow development. The incumbent will also perform essential trouble shooting and technical assistance, geospatial data development and application configuration, project consulting, geospatial data analysis, data and cartographic product stewardship, and participate on teams planning for new web-based geospatial applications to support future agency-wide and public-facing geospatial technology solutions.
The software, applications, and data products that this position manages support many core WSDOT business functions such as highway performance management systems, roadway data stewardship, transportation planning, open data, and environmental analysis and are used by all business areas within WSDOT, other state and local public agencies, and general public. As the GIS Help Desk Lead, you will support multiple business functions and staff to carry out the agency's mission to manage and monitor roadway safety and operations, and to plan for cost effective transportation options that improve livable communities and economic vitality for people and businesses. You will work directly with staff from multiple technical disciplines and engage in a wide variety of GIS tasks, from basic map making to contributing to enterprise-level or intergovernmental solution development projects.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the GIS Help Desk Lead will:
- Work with business areas to integrate geospatial technologies into workflows; perform customer outreach regarding version updates, common technical or data use issues, and educational opportunities
- Provide tier 2 GIS helpdesk support including resolving help requests from GIS users, GIS application support, troubleshooting, and software testing and evaluation.
- Identify and document software bugs. Independently research and implement solutions and workarounds.
- Coordinate with higher level specialists or software vendors to identify new workarounds or solutions.
- Produce custom geospatial data analysis, maps, datasets and reports for the agency.
- Create or configure and steward cloud / web hosted geospatial services and products such as interactive map applications, ArcGlS Online content, ArcGlS Server-based map and feature services and pdf map products.
- Actively participate on enterprise-level GIS technology migration or data system modernization project teams. Team contributions may include cartographic support, developing and delivering communications and educational materials for end users about technical changes, web service configuration, and testing and assessment of new solutions.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Geography, Landscape Architecture, Engineering, Natural Science or a related field. Note: Four (4) years of progressively responsible, professional level relevant work experience may substitute for an academic degree.
- Four (4) years recent experience using and assisting others' use of Esri ArcGlS tools and technologies
- Nine (9) semester hours of GIS coursework
- Technical writing and presentation skills
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Experience with relational database systems
- Experience with ArcGlS Enterprise
- Working knowledge of cloud-based technologies
- Working knowledge of WSDOT's Linear Referencing System (LRS)
- This recruitment may also be used to fill additional positions per business needs.
- This position offers flexible/hybrid remote work options.
- Travel to off-site locations such as the WSDOT Headquarters building, Region Offices or a conference location is required.
- By issuance of proclamation, the Governor of Washington State mandates that all employees who work for executive cabinet agencies (which includes the Department of Transportation) must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Compliance with this mandate is a condition of employment with WSDOT. Exemption may be granted for religious or medical purposes; however, accommodations will be subject to approval based on the essential functions required of the position.
- WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
Location: Tumwater, WA
Application Method: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/3653696/gis-help-desk-lead-it-customer-support-journey?page=4&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $65,988 - $88,788/ YR
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903