Instrument Technician – Tacoma WA
Instrument Technician workers are responsible for installing and maintaining a wide variety of monitoring and other types of instruments throughout a large industrial paper mill. Although weeks vary, about 20% of the time is spent inside a workshop testing and setting up instruments. The remaining time is spent walking and climbing areas within a large paper mill.
Most tasks involve occasionally using a variety of standard hand-tools as well as specialized electronic testing equipment. Many tasks are performed in a shop environment. Others involve sitting, standing and walking up to several hundred feet up or climbing up/down stairs while exposed to elements. Surfaces can be slippery and uneven. The work is fast-paced, physically demanding and requires multi-tasking.
Someone in these positions must be able to work: week days & nights, week-ends and holidays on 12-hour rotating shifts (two 12 hour shifts on Days then two 12 hour shifts on Nights & then 4 days off). Shifts are currently 7:30 AM to 7:30 PM & 7:30 PM to 7:30 AM. Hearing protection and personal protective equipment, provided by the company, is required as some jobs include exposure to noise, heat, dust, and fumes.
What you need to succeed:
· Minimum high school diploma or GED; journeyman level or trade school and equivalent experience, 3 – 7 years’ industrial experience) – required
· Instrumentation Technician certification
· PLC Programming – RSLogix 500, 5000 and DirectSOFT 32
· Instrument Calibrations – Fisher, Rosemount, Yokogawa
· Process and Instrumentation Diagramming, Loop Sheets
· Effective interpersonal and team skills
· Ability to plan, organize and execute work
· A good understanding of mill equipment and processes
· Computer literate
· Effective trouble-shooting skills; ability to read and understand schematics
· Possess initiative; attention to detail; follow-through
· Successfully pass the following:
· Structured panel interview
· Drug screen
· Reference and background (felony, misdemeanor and traffic) check
· Be clean shaven and able to use a half mask in the event of emergency (Required for only some positions)
The following experience and skills are desired:
· Understand the workings of PLC/DCS systems
· Instrumentation & Industrial Automation Technology skills: Calibration of Transmitters and Control Valves, Delta V Process Assembly and Programming, SCADA Control, Variable Frequency Drives, PLC Hardware and Programming, Computer Networking, HMI Configurations
· Supports continuous improvement of preventative maintenance
· Participates in trouble-shooting efforts to respond to equipment failures and/or process deficiencies
· Participates in root cause analysis and execution of corrective ations to minimize recurrence of unplanned shutdowns.
· Previous heavy equipment operation experience
· Previous shift work, including weekend and night shift
What we offer:
· Pay rates as per the collective bargaining agreement range from $38.20 - $45.60 per hour.
· 90 working day probationary period
· Work culture based on integrity, respect, accountability and excellence
· Excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), life insurance, STD & LTD
· A career with a packaging company where Sustainability, Safety, and Inclusion are business drivers and foundational elements of the daily work.
· Within 30 days, new hires must join USW Local #237 and pay Union dues. In addition, an excellent benefit package is available to the employee and his/her family.
If this sounds great to you and you think you fit in, please submit your application. We want to hear from you!
Contact Person: KC Curley
Location: Tacoma, WA
Application Method: Email
Base Pay: Starting @ $40.00/hr
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903