Employer: Klickitat Valley Health
Klickitat Valley Health is accepting applications for a Clinical Laboratory Assistant to join the Laboratory team. This position offers varied hours a week (with no minimum hour guarantee). The ideal candidate will be available to cover for vacations, leaves and during times of high volume.
A successful CLA will collect, process, prepare specimens for testing, operate automated, non-automated instruments, and equipment, perform testing procedures within regulatory standards of the state and federal requirements. Plating cultures as described within lab policy and procedure. Performs the duties of a phlebotomist and serves patients by performing patient screening procedures; collecting, transporting and/or receiving patient specimens for laboratory testing; responding to patient requests for information in accordance with organization policies and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). Works in conjunction with health care providers and other staff members by answering phones, responding to requests for information and performing other duties related to this position assigned by the Laboratory Manager or Medical Director.
This position requires some knowledge of basic anatomy to locate veins, demonstrates excellence in customer service during interactions with employees, managers/supervisors, patients, patient family members, customers, vendors, etc. and works collaboratively with colleagues and departments throughout the organization to provide optimal care services in a professional, ethical and knowledgeable fashion. Is aware of the potential exposure to internal and external hazardous materials, including but not limited to: blood and blood borne pathogens, infectious/communicable diseases, potential physical injury w caring for patients. Maintains a safe, clean and organized work environment.
Minimum Education, Training & Experience (includes licenses or certifications):
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Current Washington State Medical Assistant-Phlebotomist or Medical Assistant-Certified certification required, or the current ability to qualify for and obtain certification within 30 days of hire.
- Phlebotomy certification through ASCP, AMT, AAB or other certifying agency is preferred.
- Current BLS certification within 90 days of hire.
- Experience with phlebotomy functions or successful completion of a hospital based phlebotomy course required.
- Experience with drug screen specimen collection and basic specimen selection, handling, and storage activities, preferred.
- Meets education/licensure requirement, or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience required.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS / RESPONSIBILITIES (but not limited to):
- Verifies test requisitions by comparing information with other patient records and/or the Laboratory Information System; resolving discrepancies or bringing them to the attention of the Laboratory Manager.
- Verifies patient identification through the use of two separate identifiers (name, DOB, MRN, account number); or other process approved by the organization.
- Enters orders for laboratory testing and patient or specimen information into the Laboratory Information System.
- Registers patients on the computer and ensures all necessary signatures and acknowledgments are obtained.
- Processes blood or other fluid samples for further analysis by other laboratorians.
- Provide sample analysis results to physicians to assist diagnosis.
- Train other medical personnel in phlebotomy or laboratory techniques.
- Transport specimens or fluid samples from collection sites to laboratories.
- Perform waived testing and other technical process following training and/or competency to meet the workload requirements of the laboratory.
- Maintains quality results by following department procedures and testing schedule; recording results in the appropriate quality control log, identifying and reporting needed changes.
- Maintains safe, secure and healthy work environment by following standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Resolves unusual test orders by contacting the physician, pathologist, nursing station, or reference laboratory; referring unresolved orders back to the originator for further clarification; notifying the Laboratory Manager of unresolved orders.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Serves and protects the hospital community by adhering to professional standards, hospital policies and procedures, and federal, state and local requirements.
- Enhances phlebotomy department and hospital reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and novel processes; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Location: Goldendale, WA
Application Method: https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=16057&clientkey=9D7E216A94F019B126F0649DF68436DB
Base Pay: $17.16 - $20.92/ HR
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903