WSDOT is currently seeking a mechanically inclined individual to fill our Equipment Technician 3 position in our South Central Regions Rimrock shop in Naches, WA. This position will provide our customers with well-maintained vehicles and equipment, that meets our users' needs; so that they may accomplish their services to the public in a safe, efficient, timely, and cost-effective manner. This will include the ability to safely inspect, performs preventative maintenance, diagnoses, and makes major and minor repairs on all types of equipment used in highway maintenance, including light or heavy equipment or industrial/commercial equipment.
What to Expect
This position inspects, diagnoses, and makes major and minor repairs, and performs preventative maintenance on all types of equipment used in highway maintenance or heavy and industrial/commercial equipment. This position works a 6:00 AM – 4:30 PM, Monday – Thursday or Tuesday – Friday, perhaps varying shifts seasonally or to accommodate varying workloads.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Equipment Technician will:
- Maintain and repair all types of diesel engines, gasoline, electric and alternative fuel type of motors or engines to maintain and restore to reliable condition.
- Maintain, repair, trouble shoot, all types of gear boxes such as manual, computer controlled and automated or automatic transmissions.
- Maintain, repair, trouble shoot all types of hydraulic and control systems.
- Maintain, various braking systems, trouble shoot, repair brake systems of all types.
- Repair miscellaneous & various parts and components used in light and heavy equipment.
- Perform diagnostic and repair work on various snow and ice removal equipment.
- Maintain generators and re-fueling sites.
- Repair and replace components related to electronic fuel injection, automotive (light & heavy) computer controls, ignition, anti-lock brakes, sequential sign boards and various other electronic systems.
To be considered for the (ET3), you must also have:
- Three (3) years of experience in the performance of preventative maintenance and repairs assisting a journey-level mechanic, OR journey-level standing as a heavy equipment mechanic, demonstrated by completion of a recognized apprenticeship, OR by journey-level standing as recognized by a labor union, OR one year of experience as a journey-level mechanic maintaining and repairing heavy-duty equipment.
- Ability to be punctual, reliable, team oriented and able to communicate and follow instructions and assignments in writing, through the use of a computer, phone and in person for the purpose of leading, instructing, scheduling, and disseminating information concerning the shop’s operation and work plans.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Successful completion of vocational technical training in heavy equipment, light vehicles and/or industrial/commercial equipment repair, including welding/fabrication.
- ASE certifications in Automotive and/or Heavy-duty equipment.
- DOT brake certifications.
- A/C certification.
- Ability to maintain a Class B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), with “N” and Air Brake endorsements, no automatic transmission restriction and DOT Medical Certification OR obtain this license within 12 months of hire date.
*You may be asked to provide copies of transcripts, certifications, or other related credentials you have.
In additional to the salary range listed, a general wage increase of 8.25% will be applied for all state employees on July 1, 2022.
By issuance of proclamation, the Governor of Washington State mandates that all employees who work for executive cabinet agencies (which includes the Department of Transportation) must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Compliance with this mandate is a condition of employment with WSDOT. Exemption may be granted for religious or medical purposes; however, accommodations will be subject to approval based on the essential functions required of the position.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
This position may subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
Work-Life Balance – We offer flexible work schedules that allow you time for your life outside of this excellent opportunity.
Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, S. Fields, at fieldsS@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 22DOT-SCR-51120 in the subject line.
Location: Naches, WA
Application Method: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/3605455/equipment-technician-3?page=4&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $52,776 - $61,224/ YR
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903