Employer: City of Seattle
The Seattle Fire Department is seeking an Administrative Specialist 3 for our Fire Prevention Division (FPD). Our mission is to promote fire and life safety for everyone who works, visits, and lives in Seattle. The Administrative Specialist 3 is part of a team of four civilians who staff the FPD’s Existing Building Compliance (EBC) programs.
The position’s primary responsibilities include administrative and program support for the Fire Prevention Division’s Compliance and Special Events teams. You will work closely with the Captain of Compliance and Special Events, along with five uniformed members within the unit. Collectively, these teams provide oversight to fire code enforcement, assembly occupancies, high-rise buildings, food trucks, and key boxes for emergency access. This position is also responsible for scheduling Fire Guard Services for major events like Seahawks and UW Husky’s home games. The position reports to the Fire Prevention Business Services Team Lead.
The successful candidate will be passionate about providing outstanding customer service and producing accurate data and reports. You will perform independently with minimal supervision, be a collaborative team player, and enjoy working with all levels of the organization to support the mission and goals of the Fire Prevention Division.
- Perform administrative support activities for the Existing Building Compliance Team, including a primary emphasis on Compliance, Special Events, and Fire Guard Services.
- Utilize several databases to maintain accurate records.
- Produce reports and other summary statistics using Excel and/or stand-alone applications. Perform weekly and quarterly reporting.
- Interpret and apply specific policies and procedures to make reliable decisions and resolve questions from the public and other fire agencies. Requires independent judgement in determining facts and applying correct guidelines and regulations.
- Proactively demonstrate responsive, effective, and compassionate customer service for internal and external customers.
- Perform research and provide solutions or explanations to customers’ questions, complaints, and issues.
- Maintain training manuals and procedural documentation.
- Assist with special projects such as creation of fillable PDF forms and manage mass mailings using MS Word’s mail merge functionality.
- Order supplies, manage calendars, and coordinate IT service requests and vehicles.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requires three years of clerical support experience (or a combination of education, training and/or experience which provides evidence of the equivalent).
Additional attributes and skills a successful candidate will possess:
- Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to deal tactfully and clearly with coworkers and external customers.
- Self-starter with high standards for accuracy, quality of work, and quality of customer service.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and as part of a diverse workforce.
- Ability to maintain regular and reliable attendance, and to perform essential work onsite on a schedule that aligns fairly closely with Fire Prevention Division regular business hours (8am-4:30pm). Some remote work may be possible.
- Extensive experience using a database to accurately create and maintain records.
- Experience and strong skills using Microsoft Office Suite (or similar software) including Excel to record, extract and/or analyze data, and Word to create publication-ready, professionally formatted documents.
- Desire to help contribute to the wide array of administrative and program support needs that help our division stay a great place to work.
- Desire to be part of the Seattle Fire Department, supporting the mission of the Fire Prevention Division.
- Ability to lift 30 lbs and walk/travel multiple times daily between locations in our division and, as needed, between our building and other City of Seattle buildings that are located one to 10 city blocks away from our office.
- Experience providing administrative program support related to fire code or other codes and regulations is desired.
Initial selection steps for this position will include: 1. an oral interview (50%), 2. skills test including Excel and Word (40%), 3. evaluation of presented written materials: application, resume and cover letter (10%).
The Seattle Fire Department is looking to create a diverse team of hardworking, committed individuals with a passion for public service and who are deeply aligned with our City's values of Race and Social Justice. The City of Seattle is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered for positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, gender identity, political ideology, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, and local laws.
Location: Seattle, WA
Application Method: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle/jobs/3580463/administrative-specialist-3-bu-fire-prevention-division?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $30.09 - $33.78/ HR
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903