Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, you/the Journey Electrician will:
- Troubleshoot and Repair Electrical Issues on Vessels and at Terminals
- Vessel propulsion, steering, lighting, power distribution, alarming and monitoring, communications, surveillance, cathodic protection and integrated battery systems
- Use electronic diagnostic tools, read drawings, blueprints, technical documents.
- Ability to respond to equipment failures and vessel breakdowns 24/7.
- Insulation resistance testing.
- Fiber optic systems cleaning and fusion splicing.
- Inspection and maintenance of electrical motors.
- Construction of new electrical systems.
- Relay and PLC based controls on vessels and terminals.
- Diagnostics of PLC, PLC controlled systems, motors, motor controllers, advanced electronic equipment, and complex control systems.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- Completion of a recognized apprenticeship as a Marine Electrician
- Journey-Level status as a Marine Electrician
- Four (4) years in marine electrical field.
- Ability to install, troubleshoot, and repair AC and DC electrical systems up to 4160VAC and 900VDC systems including vessel propulsion, steering, lighting, power distribution, alarming and monitoring, communications, surveillance, cathodic protection, and integrated battery systems.
- Posses specialized skills, including installing and maintaining fiber optic system, PLC’s, software-controlled electronics, HMI’s, AC motors and controls, AC generators, large DC motors, motor rebrushing, commutator repair, testing, and generators, use of electronic diagnostic tools, ability to read drawings, blueprints, technical documents, and an advanced knowledge in AC/DC theory with a background in electrical troubleshooting.
- Must have the ability to respond to equipment failures and vessel breakdowns 24/7 in order to sustain service reliability within the fleet of vessels and terminals.
- Annual fit test, which includes the ability to obtain a skin to rubber seal.
- Valid Washington State Driver License.
- Valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) or the ability to obtain and maintain within 90 days of hire.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Generators (over 200 kw) and controls equipment experience preferred.
- PLC certifications for Siemens, Allen Bradley, and ABB desired.
- AutoCAD or equivalent drafting software experience preferred.
- Journey level (EL01) Washington State labor and Industries electrical license required for work on Terminals.
By issuance of proclamation, the Governor of Washington State mandates that all employees who work for executive cabinet agencies (which includes the Department of Transportation) must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Compliance with this mandate is a condition of employment with WSDOT. Exemption may be granted for religious or medical purposes; however, accommodations will be subject to approval based on the essential functions required of the position.
This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle.
Paid Leave – In addition to 11 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Renee Mason, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to reference 22DOT-WSF-C0315rr in the subject line.
Location: Kitsap County, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/3596414/journey-electrician?page=9&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $5,759/ MO
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903