WSDOT is seeking to fill a journey level construction professional to serve as our next Bridge Maintenance Specialist in Renton. This position will apply journey level skills to perform maintenance, repair, and inspection of steel, wood, and concrete bridge structures within the Northwest Region. This team member will safely utilize heavy equipment to ensure the safety of our bridges and the motoring public. By taking on this role, you are serving a key and vital function to the State of Washington's Transportation system.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Bridge Maintenance Specialist 2 will:
- Apply journey-level knowledge and skills with adherence to safety precautions, policies, and directives while performing job functions in the maintenance, repair, and inspection of concrete, steel, and timber bridge structures.
- General maintenance and repair of bridges and structures to include: decks, expansion joints, abutments, bridge rail, place rebar, pour/finish concrete, walkways, jersey rail, curbs, concrete slabs, reinforced footings/walls, bents, and bracing.
- Read, interpret, and follow specific permit agreements or guidance related to bridge work activities.
- Participate in safety meetings and programs at every level. Attend safety meetings and job related training as needed.
- Safely operate motorized, hand, and power tools and equipment to perform maintenance and repairs.
- Other duties as assigned
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid Driver’s License
- Two (2) years of experience in construction or another related field such as steel fabrication, carpenter, electrician, concrete work, mechanic, or millwright.
- Current Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class A or the ability to obtain within 6 months of hire.
In addition to:
- Ability to read, interpret, and follow operational manuals, blueprints, and written correspondence.
- Ability to manipulate in excess of 50lbs with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to work next to heavy traffic in a variety of weather conditions, including heat, cold, and inclement weather, negotiating steep, rough, and uneven terrain, working in confined spaces at heights above 100 ft. over land or water performing maintenance and repairs.
- Ability to work any shift, including nights, weekends, and holidays, and be subject to overtime and emergency callouts as needed.
- Ability to obtain and maintain Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) certifications and follow standard MUTCD and M54-44 guidelines to safely setup and work within traffic control.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
Current Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class A
Four (4) years of Journey Level experience in heavy construction carpentry, concrete, steel, electrical, millwright, mechanic, or closely related field.
This recruitment may also be used to fill additional positions per business needs.
This position is not eligible for remote work.
This position requires the ability to be work ready on a standby on-call status to work any shift, including nights, weekends, and holidays, and be subject to overtime and emergency callouts as needed.
By issuance of proclamation, the Governor of Washington State mandates that all employees who work for executive cabinet agencies (which includes the Department of Transportation) must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. This is a condition of employment with WSDOT. Exemption may be granted for religious or medical purposes, however, accommodations will be subject to approval based on the essential functions required of the position.
The salary listed includes the legislative approved 5% salary premium for positions in King County and Assignment Pay. An additional general wage increase of 3.25% will be applied for all state employees on July 1, 2022.
This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle.
Paid Leave – In addition to 11 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options, and free dental coverage! Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible. In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
An attached Cover Letter that further details your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
Contact information to be included in the “References” section of the online application for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply.
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Eric Saniatan, at SaniatE@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 20DOT-NWR-12757 in the subject line.
Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
Location: Renton, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/3573272/bridge-maintenance-specialist-2?page=2&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $62,224 - $72,160/ YR
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903