Recruitment Period: 04/05/2022 - Until Filled
Status: Full Time
To apply visit: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/1025092
Applicants for all positions will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 during the hiring process. Valid medical or religious exemptions will be considered.
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences (PNWU) was founded as a 501(c) (3) non-profit medical institution in 2005 aimed at increasing access to health care in medically underserved areas of the Pacific Northwest.
The University currently offers the degrees of Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, Doctor of Physical Therapy, and Master of Arts in Medical Science enrolling over 550 students annually with plans to develop other programs and/or colleges. Interprofessional education partnerships with other universities adds another 100 students to the population. The campus includes 300 employees with academic programming spread over a five state region.
PNWU is located in Yakima, WA, a city of approximately 95,000 located in the south central part of the state near the eastern slopes of the Cascade Mountains in a major agricultural and outdoor recreation region. It is approximately 140 miles from Seattle, 170 miles from Portland, and 200 miles from Spokane. The Yakima Valley is a wonderful place to live, work and play.
The Senior Accountant pivots rapidly between tasks in a broad range from basic account reconciliations to complex account reconciliations and analysis, financial report drafting and analysis, and detailed problem solving of complex accounting and financial issues. Thinks strategically and understand how decisions may impact others beyond the assigned areas of responsibility. Utilizes multi-functional expertise in accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll processes to perform special accounting functions such as contribution, endowment, and investment accounting. Supports other activities of the Finance department, including but not limited to miscellaneous accounts receivable, and grant and contract accounting. Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements, internal control guidelines, and university procedures. This position reports to the Controller.
Essential Job Functions:
· Utilizes knowledge of the accounting process from beginning to end, including documentation of account balances and transaction reconciliation, posting adjustments, and understanding financial statement reporting and disclosures
· Prepares detailed month-end and year-end journal entries and account analyses
· Performs specialized accounting for contributions, endowments, and investments
· Responsible for invoicing, collection and tracking of miscellaneous receivables, and entry of deposits in accounting software
· Manages daily collaboration with Development, Office of Scholarly Activity and other departments for donor, fundraising, grant and contract activities
· Responsible for individual detail and summary spreadsheets in Excel as subsidiary records
· Supports the Controller and CFO by performing ad hoc analyses and projects
· Leads, directs, and develops assigned projects and monitors work in progress
· Supports internal and external audits and prepares audit documentation
· Maintains compliance with internal control standards and audit standards
· Researches and implements new accounting standards and best practices
· Performs training and development of Finance staff and other stakeholders in assigned areas of responsibility
· Understands accreditation standards and expectations specific to the department and adheres to policies and procedures to meet or exceed such standards
· Conducts self appropriately and consistently in accordance with the philosophy and mission of PNWU
· Other duties as assigned
• Required: High School Diploma or GED
• Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree in related field
• Required: Five years of progressively more responsible and expansive work experience in accounting, finance, and leadership activities. Education may be substituted for years of work experience
• Preferred: Experience with Great Plains Dynamics accounting software
Desired Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
Strong organization, interpersonal, and planning skills; strong computer skills, including Excel, accounting, and reporting software; strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to work in a team and flexibility to work with others in a variety of circumstances; ability to successfully lead others; ability to problem solve by analyzing issues and creating action plans; ability to manage projects and people and prioritize and self-direct workflow; ability to work with and manage different computer programs and databases; and ability to schedule activities and/or meetings
To ensure full consideration submit:
• A letter of introduction outlining background and qualifications for the position
• Detailed curriculum vitae
• Contact information for three professional references
The job announcement above is not the full job description, but represents the job responsibilities and requirements. A full job description can be provided upon request.
PNWU offers a comprehensive benefits package to eligible employees first of the month following date of hire and competitive salary.
PNWU is a drug-free workplace, equal opportunity employer and educational institution. To request this publication in an alternative format, or to apply in an alternative format, please call Human Resources, 509.452.5100.
Contact Person: Rosa Solorzano
Location: Yakima, Washington
Application Method: Application
Base Pay: DOQ
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903