Employer: Yakima Area Arboretum
Office and Program Assistant
Yakima Area Arboretum (YAA) ● 1401 Arboretum Drive, Yakima, WA 98901 ● (509) 248-7337
ABOUT THE YAKIMA AREA ARBORETUM
The YAA is a non-profit living plant museum on 46 acres of land managed as botanical collections, display gardens, natural areas, and building facilities. The Arboretum provides an assortment of educational opportunities to people of all ages in an atmosphere of beauty and relaxation. Funding to support the Arboretum is obtained through a variety of sources, including the rental of the Jewett Interpretive Center and grounds for special events.
The YAA is seeking a fun and energetic individual to join our small office staff as a part-time Office and Program Assistant (OPA). The OPA’s primary responsibilities will be to assist our Executive Director and other Arboretum staff in carrying out the mission of the Arboretum. They will need to work well with staff, Arboretum members, volunteers, customers and community members and be flexible in time and resources used. The successful candidate will be energetic, self-motivated, and have good attention to detail.
• Assist the Executive Director in maintaining the Arboretum’s membership database; record donations, generate acknowledgments, run reports, and thank you letters.
• Help answer phones, greet visitors, and manage gift shop sales in a professional and friendly manner.
• Assist with Nature Day Camp, class, and event registration.
• Help manage a volunteer database and provide volunteer support for Arboretum events and programs.
• Assist staff in the planning and implementation of Arboretum events and programs.
• And, perform other general office tasks as needed.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Bilingual(English/Spanish) preferred.
• Enjoys working with people and talking on the phone.
• Proficient in various MS Office programs, including Word, Excel and Power Point.
• Ability to prioritize, multi-task and follow through with minimal direction.
• Flexibility in varied job assignments and willingness to pitch in when/where needed.
• Upbeat, positive attitude and good sense of humor a plus.
20-25 hours a week. Saturdays, 9am to 5pm, are required. Weekday hours are negotiable. Expect some evenings and Sundays to coincide with YAA special events. Work is performed mostly in a small office environment, with frequent interruptions, computer usage and phone calls. Each staff person is expected to cross train in other office positions, to better assist our members, customers, and visitors. Occasional use of a personal vehicle to reach offsite special event locations, pick up donations, and/or shop for supplies to support our events. May lift up to 30 pounds. We believe this would be a great position for a college student, retiree looking for extra income, or someone who has other part-time employment that can still commit to Saturdays.
DESIRED EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Bachelor’s Degree, AA degree, or working towards a degree with strong skills and/or experience. Must pass a background check.
PAY & BENEFITS
$15 hour plus sick leave.
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
Please email your resume and a cover letter explaining why you feel you are a good candidate for the position to Anakaren Garcia at Anakaren@ahtrees.org Position is open until filled.
Contact Person: Anakaren Garcia
Location: Yakima, WA.
Application Method: Email
Base Pay: $15/hour
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903