WSDOT has exciting career opportunity for an experienced trades professional who loves working outdoors and embraces challenges. The Eastern Region is seeking to fill a Bridge Maintenance Specialist 2 position located in Spokane, WA. Operating a wide variety of bridge maintenance equipment and tools, this position is responsible for the maintenance and repair of highways and highway structures to ensure the safe and efficient movement of people and commerce. This position has public safety and safety of fellow employees as a high priority and must be considered in every decision and activity affecting the highway facilities.
What to Expect
This position is required to respond to emergency callouts and must be available for standby 24 hours a day/7 day a week. Work is performed primarily outdoors, traversing rough, steep, and uneven terrain; and near high-volume/high-speed traffic. May also work at elevated heights above 25 feet over land or water.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Bridge Maintenance Specialist 2 will:
- Maintain, repair, and reconstruct bridges and structures to include deck repair, expansion joints, repair/replacement of caps, stringers, pilings, abutments, walkways, curbs, sidewalks, railings, columns, piers, and bulkheads.
- Perform pavement maintenance and repair asphalt and concrete.
- Maintain and repair signs, guardrail, fence, and impact attenuator installation and repair.
- Track, document, and report daily work activities.
- Operate Class A, B, or C highway equipment, power tools and hand tools.
- Periodic Out-of-Town stay as this crew assists other Maintenance Areas and Regions
- Maintain roadways for open travel.
- Assists in snow and ice operations.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- High school graduation, or possession of a GED certificate, or equivalent.
- Two (2) years highway maintenance, roadway construction, construction, landscaping, farming, operating equipment or other manual labor type work or related experience.
- A Class A CDL with N endorsement without airbrake restrictions and Tank Endorsement.
- A valid CDL Medical Certificate.
- A valid Traffic Control/Flagging card (or the ability to obtain within 3 months of hire) with experience performing traffic control per MUTCD including planning, setting signs and cones or barrels, and flagging.
- A First Aid Card or the obtain within 6 months of hire.
- Capable of working at heights of over 60 feet.
- Must be able to report in service to assigned duty station within 45 minutes of an after-hours call.
- Must be eighteen years of age or older.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Experience with concrete, forming, operating special equipment.
- Experience with steel fabrication, welding, and repair
- Knowledge and experience with hand and power tools.
- Two (2) years of experience performing bridge maintenance work.
This recruitment may also be used to fill additional positions per business needs.
Rotational night shift is required for this position.
By issuance of proclamation, the Governor of Washington State mandates that all employees who work for executive cabinet agencies (which includes the Department of Transportation) must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Compliance with this mandate is a condition of employment with WSDOT. Exemption may be granted for religious or medical purposes; however, accommodations will be subject to approval based on the essential functions required of the position.
This position may subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
Work-Life Balance – We offer flexible work schedules that allow you time for your life outside of this excellent opportunity.
Paid Leave – In addition to 11 paid holidays, full-time employees earn up to 25 paid vacation days per year!
Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Rachel Giese at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to reference 22DOT-ER-60745 in the subject line.
Location: Spokane, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/3485201/bridge-maintenance-specialist-2?page=2&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $54,108 - $62,748/ YR
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903