Employer: City of Seattle
If you possess a deep understanding and passion for technology combined with advanced communication skills and the ability to comprehend the implications of strategic technology decisions on business solutions, this position has your name on it!
The City of Seattle is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Database Administrator (DBA) in Seattle Information Technology (Seattle IT).
Seattle IT is the technology backbone of the City of Seattle's complex operations and its ability to deliver a wide array of services for the residents of Seattle. The 600+ strong professionals in Seattle IT are involved in the full spectrum of an IT enterprise offering many dynamic career opportunities. Seattle IT is a trusted partner that provides secure, reliable, and compliant technologies that enable the city to deliver equitable and responsive services to the public.
This position requires the ability to work with different stakeholders from multiple business units to understand business goals and objectives, technology needs to enable technology decisions and guide the selection of specific technology solutions and their design in alignment with the customer’s business goals.
Successful candidates will have the drive to learn new technologies and help advance database service delivery to our customers. This position is responsible for the overall administration, installation, configuration, support and maintenance of a variety of database products including Oracle, MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL in both On Premises and Cloud environments.
As a DBA, you will provide database support for both operational and project needs, working with a wide variety of cross-functional teams and external vendors. Providing on-call support for 24 x 7 critical systems as part of rotation is required. This position will report to the Database Manager.
- Participate in high visibility Citywide projects impacting both external and internal customers providing database expertise for installation, configuration and define technical database requirements.
- Provide consultation regarding architecture, design, hardware, application performance and security.
- Responsible for day-to-day administration, management and performance tuning of databases and environments.
- Proactively monitor the database systems to ensure secure and reliable services with minimum downtime for on premise and cloud environments.
- Troubleshoot and resolve service incidents within the database. Collaborate with Applications and Infrastructure teams as required. - Participate in root cause analysis.
- Plan, implement and manage effective backup/archive strategies for database environments, including disaster recovery scenarios.
- Plan, evaluate, implement database upgrades, fixes and patches as appropriate.
- Perform database cloning or refreshes as appropriate and document new processes.
- Provide problem escalation to Application teams and engage with third-party support.
- Document procedures and provide technical guidance to peers and developers.
- Use ITSM tools and procedures to complete Service Requests, Incidents and Change Management.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered for the required qualifications.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, or related field; additional experience may be substituted for the degree.
- 4+ years architecting, installing, configuring, and administering Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server databases.
- Experience configuring and administrating highly available/disaster recovery database solutions for Oracle and MS SQL Server e.g. Oracle DataGuard, MQ SQL Server HA solutions and log shipping.
- Experience with backup/restore/refreshes of Oracle (RMAN) and MQ SQL Server databases.
- Experience using Enterprise Management tool/s for database management.
- Proven track record of implementing best practices for database security and auditing.
- Experience maintaining SQL Server additional functions such as SSRS/SSIS/SSAS and PowerBI.
- Experience with SQL, PowerShell, T-SQL and UNIX/Linux shell scripting. Demonstrated ability to automate routine administration tasks/processes.
- Excellent technical troubleshooting skills within database environments.
- Experience working with application and cross-functional IT teams for project and operational support.
- Ability to support multiple database products and environments in a fast-paced environment.
- 1+ years administration of Oracle Golden Gate environments.
- 1+ years PostgreSQL database administration including installing, configuring, maintaining and tuning on premises.
- Demonstrated configuration and management of PostgreSQL in a highly available and/or replicated environment.
- Experience with Oracle APEX administration and configuration.
- Hands on skills with migrating and maintaining database solutions in AWS.
- Demonstrated ability and desire to master databases cloud concepts in AWS & Azure.
- Experience with Enterprise Management of Open-Source databases on-prem and in the cloud.
- Strong UNIX/Linux and Windows operating system skills focused on database tuning.
- Experience as a Data Scientist and/or using Cloud Data Analytics solutions is a plus.
NOTE: Employment contingent upon successful completion of comprehensive background investigation in compliance with Seattle’s Fair Change Employment Ordinance SMC 14.17. Background investigation will include CJIS certification conducted under the purview of Seattle Police Department.
NOTE: This position is covered by a collective bargaining unit; International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 77.
COVID Vaccine Mandate:
All City of Seattle employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Failure to submit proof of vaccination or qualify for a reasonable accommodation will result in withdrawal of the job offer.
Workplace Environment (Telework Expectation):
Most work is performed in a normal City work/office environment; currently, due to the ongoing pandemic and Covid-19 state and local restrictions, we are temporarily on remote or hybrid work schedule. This is subject to change and as circumstances dictate.
The City of Seattle offers an excellent benefit package. This includes an option of four medical plans, two dental plans, vision care, and membership in the City’s Employee Retirement System. Employees are afforded ten paid holidays plus two personal holidays; vacation and sick leave hours accrue with service time; this position is eligible for Executive and Merit Leave. Additional benefits such as Life Insurance, Long Term Disability, Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Flexible Spending, Deferred Compensation, etc. are also available with minimal cost to employees.
This position is open to all candidates who meet the minimum qualifications. The Seattle Information Technology Department values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. ITD encourages people of all backgrounds to apply.
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter and resume by applying online at www.seattle.gov/jobs or complete an application and drop it off at the Personnel Department, Seattle Municipal Tower, 700 5th Avenue, Suite 5400, Seattle, WA 98124-4028.
Location: Seattle, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle/jobs/3464821/database-administrator?page=4&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: DOQ
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903