Employer: City of Seattle
Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is recruiting for two (2) Accounts Receivable (A/R) Accountants. These positions will be integral to the Sundry billing function and Transfer Station billing function. The Accountants will work closely with the Accounting Technician III in these areas. These positions reports to the A/R Manager.
About Seattle Public Utilities: Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is a Community Centered Utility whose mission is to foster healthy people, environment, and economy by partnering with our community to equitably manage water and waste resources for today and future generations. We deliver high quality, vital services, across four major lines of business: providing water, solid waste, drainage and wastewater services for Seattle residents and businesses. In addition, SPU provides drinking water for 1.5 million regional customers in Seattle and other municipalities. Our customers depend on us to deliver high quality, reliable, and cost-conscious utility services and to achieve the highest benefits possible for every investment we make.
SPU is committed to increasing racial equity, diversity, and inclusion through our work. We actively take steps to dismantle systemic racism and increase service equity. We value diverse life experiences and strive to create a workplace that is welcoming to all. We take steps to be inclusive and equitable in our recruiting, hiring and promotional opportunities.
Sundry Billing Accountant Duties/Responsibilities:
- Manage payment posting, payment reconciliation, interdepartmental billing journals, refunds, and PeopleSoft invoicing for Development Services Office (DSO) projects
- Work closely with project managers to provide project cost information and facilitate billing
- Coordinate with Accounting Tech III to manage and process billing requests. Approve invoices and journal entries that Account Tech III creates.
Transfer Station Billing Accountant Duties/Responsibilities:
- Serve as lead for Transfer Station billing functions including transaction review/correction, credit card refunds and provide transaction reporting to program managers
- Assist transfer station staff with scale house transactions
- Coordinate with Account Tech III to manage payment posting
- Approve adjustments and journal entries that Account Tech III creates.
The below responsibilities are common to both positions:
- Communicate with customers by phone and email to answer questions and resolve billing issues
- Review and reconcile assigned accounts in the general ledger
- Work collaboratively with staff from other Finance sections to provide information and improve processes
- Train and provide back-up support for accounting technicians
- Assist in the development and modification of accounting control policies, procedures and practices
- Assist in special projects such as research and analysis of financial information.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Accounting OR two (2) years of accounting experience.
The ideal candidate should possess some or most of the following:
One (1) or more years of accounting experience with a large, complex financial system
Strong spreadsheet and software skills, particularly with Excel, Access, and PeopleSoft applications
Demonstrated coordination, research, and analytical skills
Ability to work independently and exercise good judgment under limited supervision
Excellent customer service and communication skills
Ability to communicate and work effectively within a multicultural workforce serving a diverse customer base.
All City of Seattle employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Failure to submit proof of vaccination or qualify for a reasonable accommodation will result in withdrawal of a job offer.
Who may apply: The City of Seattle encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experience. This position is open to all qualified candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Workplace Environment (Telework Expectation): Most work is performed in a normal City work/office environment; however, due to the ongoing pandemic and Covid-19 state and local restrictions, hybrid telework/office/field assignment work will be available that's consistent with HR guidelines, and as circumstances dictate. We continue to seek guidance from local public health agencies and will proceed accordingly with any necessary changed or needs regarding "workplace location" expectations.
This hiring process involves a background check of conviction and arrest records in compliance with Seattle’s Fair Chance Employment Ordinance, SMC 14.17. Applicants will be provided an opportunity to explain or correct background information.
Location: Seattle, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle/jobs/3438881/a-r-accountant?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $35.35 - $41.17/ HR
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903