WSDOT is looking for professional, career-minded individuals who want to make a difference by joining our exciting new Tunnel Maintenance Organization. As part of this full time night crew, you will be tasked with traffic control for night maintenance projects in King County and maintaining roadway sections in and around the I-90 and SR 99 Tunnels. This opportunity is perfect for someone who wants to learn, loves working with their hands, is safety and team oriented, and understands their work is done at night, on roadways and roadsides in a variety of weather. This team member reports to and works out of our new SR99 Tunnel North Operations Building and will assist with the maintenance and operations of assigned areas to assure they remain in a condition that promotes the movement of traffic, and safety to the motoring public.
Working in the maintenance area will require responsible, safety-minded individuals to accomplish skilled tasks that require operating trucks and various other highway and heavy equipment. These positions require a quick response time to job sites. Highway maintenance crews are ready 24 hours a day, seven days a week. By taking on this role, you are serving a key and vital function to the State of Washington.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Highway Maintenance Worker 2 will:
- Provide traffic control for night maintenance projects including, layout and set-up of traffic control, set up signage, manually flagging traffic, and operating attenuator/buffer truck.
- Operate class A, B, or C equipment, power tools, or perform manual labor on projects such as; asphalt and concrete pavement maintenance and repair; guard rail, fence, and impact attenuators maintenance and repair; install and maintain signs; and clean tunnel lights and walls.
- Flush bridge drains, clean catch basins, and ditches.
- Operate a wide variety of heavy equipment in maintenance and repair of highways and highway structures.
- Using specialized equipment to clean tunnel walls and lights.
- Remove dangerous and hazardous debris from the roadways and tunnels.
- Operate snow removal and deicing equipment to keep roadway passable.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- High school diploma or GED certification.
- Two (2) years of highway maintenance, logging, farming, excavating, or heavy equipment experience OR other related work experience.
- Washington State Commercial Driver License (CDL), Class A with endorsement N without air brakes with manual transmission.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
Hold a Washington State Flagger Card
Hold a Washington State Pesticides Applicator’s License
Hold Backflow Prevention Tester Certification
- The schedule for this position is Monday – Thursday 8:00PM – 6:30AM.
- By issuance of proclamation, the Governor of Washington State mandates that all employees who work for executive cabinet agencies (which includes the Department of Transportation) must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Compliance with this mandate is a condition of employment with WSDOT. Exemption may be granted for religious or medical purposes; however, accommodations will be subject to approval based on the essential functions required of the position.
- The salary listed for this position includes a legislative approved 5% premium for workers in King County and 10% Assignment Pay.
- Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the position.
- This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 11 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Cori Shull, at ShullCo@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 22DOT-NWR-12716 in the subject line.
Location: Seattle, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/3478349/highway-maintenance-worker-2-i-90-and-sr-99-tunnel-seattle-wa-nights?page=5&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $55,789 - $66,999/ YR
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903