Employer: Whitman College
The Plumber General Maintenance Technician is responsible for performing skilled plumbing, pipefitting, and preventative maintenance repairs in facilities at Whitman College. This position will also be assigned maintenance duties in support of other maintenance trades and projects as needed. This technician regularly consults with the Maintenance Supervisor on all matters involving the operation and maintenance of related equipment and work scheduling. Evening and weekend work may be required on occasion.
- Inspects, diagnoses, repairs, maintains and tests plumbing, heating, cooling, and other piping systems, cameras, water jets, augers, unplugs and maintains sewer waste lines and storm drains.
- Removes and replaces or installs all types of plumbing fixtures such as water closets, sinks, drinking fountains with bottle fillers, showers, kitchen, laboratory, domestic water heaters and boilers, and other equipment.
- Maintains and repairs piping, constructing various types of pipe joints for high and low pressure systems, including threading, brazing, soldering, crimping and welding.
- Installs fittings, hangers, anchors, guides, drains, clean outs and piping of all kinds.
- Orders supplies and materials as required. Maintain tools and work van in a professional manner.
- Reports damages and maintenance repairs.
- Utilizes Facility Services work order system correctly and regularly, as well as computers (e.g. email, creating reports).
- Works within the safety regulations for federal, state, and Whitman College. Actively participates in the accident prevention program, including attending safety program.
- Observes safety precautions and procedures at all times, being alert for unsafe conditions and reports them to supervisor.
- Must be able to respond to campus emergencies throughout the year.
- Assists with all other maintenance trades as needed, including moving furniture and other supplies.
- Helps maintain rain gutter, downspout systems, roof drains and cleaning roofs.
- Performs backup Boiler Technician and all other General Maintenance duties as requested by supervisor.
- Organizes daily work schedule and consults regularly with the Maintenance Supervisor for prioritizing projects.
- Serves as essential personnel, meaning duties are essential to the operations of the College and requires that the position report to campus for work even during full or partial closures, emergencies, inclement weather, etc.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Individuals must be able to explain and/or demonstrate that they possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to safely perform the essential functions of this job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to work closely and collaboratively with faculty, students and staff.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with others.
- Ability to operate a forklift and mechanical equipment, including power tools.
- Ability to move heavy equipment such as, generators, compressors, motors, and appliances. Building supplies may weigh up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to climb up and down and work from step ladders and extension ladders.
- Meet normal physical requirements to perform maintenance duties, including heights above 20 feet.
- Ability to work in confined spaces and use respirator equipment as trained.
- Ability to keep a clean and organized work areas, service vehicle and parts stock.
- Ability to organize a daily work schedule and use a computerized work order system.
- Ability to use computers for emails, creating reports, work on spreadsheets etc.
- Ability to clearly and regularly communicate and take directions from supervisor.
- Ability to read and understand specifications, electrical diagrams and blueprints.
- Ability to drive and maintain an organized service van.
- Ability to respond to college emergencies as needed.
- Ability to assist all other maintenance trades as needed.
- Ability to positively and actively contribute to the College’s core values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Ability to be reliable and capable of working independently on the assigned shift.
High School graduation, four (4) years' experience as a journey level plumber. Knowledge of tools and related equipment is necessary. Plumbing Skills, knowledge, common sense and the ability to use each in making decisions. Must possess a Washington valid driver’s license, pass background check and employment physical.
Trade school training. Past experience in standard plumbing and maintenance practices and procedures in an organization with extended hours of operation and multiple high-traffic areas such as, higher education, K-12 schools, healthcare.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIRMENTS
Work environment is primarily inside Whitman facilities and sometimes outside, both of which may include working in high places. This position may be exposed to dirt, dust and equipment solutions. Work may require periodic use of personal protective equipment (e.g. respirators, confined space). Physical skill and sustained physical effort may be required for some of the maintenance responsibilities. Job requires moderate strength and agility and typically requires balancing, bending, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping and repetitive motions. Lifting and carrying materials weighing up to 50 pounds occurs with varied frequency.
Whitman offers competitive employee benefits, including medical, dental, vision and life insurances, a generous 10% matching contribution to the Whitman College 403(b) Defined Contribution Retirement Plan, and paid time off including 13 paid holidays for full-time staff vacation and sick leave. Learn more about benefits eligibility here.
At Whitman College, we take seriously the safety of our community. Whitman is a fully vaccinated campus, requiring all employees and students to be up to date with their COVID-19 vaccinations or have an approved exemption. More information can be found here.
DISABILITY ACCOMMODATION FOR JOB CANDIDATES
Contact Human Resources regarding requests for disability accommodation in the employment application process.
Application review will begin on April 1 and continue until the position is filled.
April 21, 2022
Location: Walla Walla, WA
Application Method: Online: https://whitman.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=170
Base Pay: DOQ
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903