Employer: Washington State Department of Transportation
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO) is currently seeking a highly motivated and professional Executive Assistant in Olympia, WA. The purpose of this position is to support the Director of the Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO) in implementation and monitoring of a wide variety of programs to include Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBE), Minority, Small, Veteran and Women’s Business Enterprises Programs (M/S/V/WBE), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and many others. This position requires the incumbent to use independent judgment in a high-pressure environment to manage the day-to-day operations of the OEO. This position directly impacts the Director’s ability to manage and coordinate activities that accomplish the division and agency’s mission. The Executive Assistant operates at the highest level of independence and requires an equally high level of knowledge, ethical, and professional behavior, and achievement of performance goals.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Executive Assistant will:
- Be responsible for performing varied administrative tasks, making decisions, and taking action for the Director of the Office of Equal Opportunity on administrative office matters.
- Manage the Director’s calendar, scheduling complex appointments, preparing agendas, assisting with meeting materials/preparation, speaking engagements, and arranging travel.
- Serve as the primary liaison for the Director with agency and division staff, other state agency colleagues, the Legislature, Federal Highway Administration, and the general public.
- Acts as the liaison between the Director, the management team and staff, and relays assignments to staff, assure due dates are met, informing staff of important issues requiring review and action. Answering questions about operations, functions, and policies.
- Be responsible for confidential and time-sensitive material in an environment where professionalism, efficiency, and communication skills are of high importance.
- Develop and understand material of a complex nature and disseminate to appropriate stakeholders and staff.
- Compose, edit, and proofread letters, emails, and memoranda using excellent communication and written skills with proper correspondence guidelines for the agency.
- Maintain confidentiality with sensitive matters including personnel concerns.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- Associates degree or higher
- Four (4) years of demonstrated progressive experience as an Administrative Assistant or equivalent experience of providing professional-level administrative support to senior level manager(s).
- Exceptional communication skills in writing and orally.
- Demonstrated high level of ethical standards and integrity, and consistently use independent judgment.
- Demonstrated skill in being self-directed and able to work remotely; willingness to take initiative and exhibit consistently good judgement.
- Ability to communicate effectively and facilitate collaboration with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Experience in responding to complex, highly sensitive issues.
- Exceptional critical thinking skills and ability to generate innovative solutions.
- Proven ability to make decisions and act on behalf of the Director regarding administrative matters.
- Demonstrated computer skills, including functioning at an advanced level with Microsoft Office products – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and high level of comfort working with various virtual meeting platforms including Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Skype (or equivalent) for teleworking and hybrid office meetings.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
This recruitment may also be used to fill additional positions per business needs.
By issuance of proclamation, the Governor of Washington State mandates that all employees who work for executive cabinet agencies (which includes the Department of Transportation) must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Compliance with this mandate is a condition of employment with WSDOT. Exemption may be granted for religious or medical purposes; however, accommodations will be subject to approval based on the essential functions required of the position.
Due to the COVID-19 restrictions, this position will be remote in a telework capacity full-time. Once the restrictions are lifted, WSDOT supports a flexible work schedule with partial telework opportunities, depending on business needs and prior supervisor approval.
Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle.
Paid Leave – In addition to 11 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
To be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Amanda Strebeck, at email@example.com . Please be sure to reference Executive Assistant 0E231 in the subject line.
Location: Olympia, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/3376482/executive-assistant?page=4&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $56,664 - $70,500/ YR
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903