Employer: Port of Everett
The Maintenance Apprentice position is the first step in the Port’s maintenance apprenticeship program, during which the employee will gain the skills and knowledge necessary for the position of Maintenance Journeyman. During the course of the apprenticeship program, the employee is expected to become proficient in at least two essential duties and responsibilities per year to be eligible for advancement. Upon completion of the apprenticeship program and subject to satisfactory evaluation confirming proficiency in at least six of the essential duties and responsibilities listed below, the Apprentice will advance to Journeyman.
The Apprentice position is represented by the ILWU. The 2021 wage range for Apprentice is $28.50 to $40.91/hour. There are a total of three (3) position available.
- Electrical: Maintain, troubleshoot and repair electrical services and systems related to Port facilities, including but not limited to floats, docks, buildings, parking lots, rolling stock and equipment.
- Mechanical: Maintain, troubleshoot and repair mechanical systems, including rolling stock (gas, diesel, propane internal combustion engines), hydraulic and air systems, and Port-owned cranes.
- Carpentry: Perform carpentry and woodworking tasks, including construction and repair of docks, wharves, floats and buildings and finish work such as hanging doors and basic cabinet work.
- Plumbing: Maintain, troubleshoot and repair water systems, including potable water, fire and irrigation systems.
- Landscaping: Perform landscape maintenance tasks, including planting, transplanting, pesticide and fungicide applications, pruning and fertilizing.
- Equipment Operation: Drive Port vehicles and operate rolling stock and other equipment for maintenance purposes, including fork lifts, boom trucks, dump trucks, front end loaders, backhoes, compressors and generators. Operate equipment associated with Marina and Marine Terminal operations, including the Marine Travelift, boom truck, forklifts, and the Port tug or other boat to move or maneuver boats, logs, floats or boat houses.
- Welding: Perform welding tasks needed to maintain facilities.
- Lehigh Cement Operations: Operate, troubleshoot and maintain materials unloading systems, including repair and maintenance of cranes, cable conveyors, car puller and load out systems. Provide service to mobile heavy equipment.
OTHER JOB DUTIES
Provide assistance with special projects, tasks and other duties as assigned.
Preferred Work Experience:
Two (2) years related work experience or formal training in primary job skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence and memos in English. Ability to effectively communicate with customers, clients and coworkers.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Valid driver’s license, and insurability under the Port of Everett auto insurance plan.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC).
PHYSICAL and WORKING CONDITIONS
Incumbents must be physically able to perform each essential duty of the position satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Location: Everett, WA
Application Method: Online: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/862731
Base Pay: DOQ
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903