Employer: City of Seattle
The Seattle Fire Department Fire Prevention Division (FPD) is seeking an Administrative Specialist 2. Our mission is to promote fire and life safety for everyone who works, visits, and lives in Seattle. This position is part of the FPD Engineering/New Construction Team, a team of roughly 10 Fire Fighter/Inspectors and a New Construction Lieutenant. The position reports to the Captain of Engineering.
The position’s primary responsibilities include administrative and program support to the Seattle Fire Department New Construction program. The program provides oversight to fire alarms, sprinklers, and other critical fire protection systems that are being installed in new buildings throughout Seattle. This position provides a high volume of external customer service, primarily to contractors who are looking to schedule inspections with SFD. The position is also responsible for data entry regarding buildings and inspections in multiple systems. The position works closely with SFD uniformed inspectors and officers, and from time to time provides general administrative support to the Captain of Engineering.
The successful candidate will be passionate about providing outstanding customer service and producing accurate data and reports. You will perform independently with minimal supervision, be a collaborative team player, and enjoy working with all levels of the organization to support the mission and goals of the Fire Prevention Division.
Primary position responsibilities include:
- Provide excellent administrative support for the Fire Department’s Engineering/New Construction Unit.
- Utilize several databases to maintain accurate records related to inspection dates and results, inspection fees owed, and the status of possible violations. Databases include City’s Accela/Seattle Services Portal, SFD internal databases and PowerApps, and SFD cloud-based solutions The Compliance Engine and First Due.
- Serve as the primary telephone public contact, maintaining close phone coverage for customers requiring inspection of building fire protection systems. Respond to inquiries (internal and external) from Engineers, Construction Inspectors, Fire Prevention staff, fire station personnel, the public and members of the City Departments. Customer inquiries include highly sensitive topics requiring the Engineering Admin to possess tact and diplomacy and maintain a highly professional demeanor, including compliance cases related to retroactive communications requirements in the Fire Code.
- Serve as a resource to the team of fire fighter/prevention inspectors with respect to using business systems to support their inspections and compliance activities.
- Demonstrate good judgment and discretion regarding confidential information.
- Prepare documentation for project close out, set up fee calculation and document activity for all projects that are direct billed by SFD construction inspectors. Ensure accurate and complete inclusion of applicant-specific inspection notes in project records including the electronic copy as well as the hard-copy record that is required to be retained in the SFD records room.
- Finalize correspondence for the Engineering Unit including letters from the Fire Marshal requiring compliance.
- Prepare reports, create forms and develop procedures to improve Unit performance and customer service and facilitate overtime hiring.
- Provide staff support to the Engineering Captain related to time-sensitive planning for impaired fire protection systems.
- Order and maintain supplies for the Engineering Section.
- Review, propose, implement procedural changes in business processes in collaboration with management, and maintain procedural documentation.
- Other duties as required including providing support to other sections in the division and performing the duties of lower level classifications when assigned.
Requires two years of clerical support experience (or a combination of education, training and/or experience which provides evidence of the equivalent).
Additionally, a successful applicant will possess the following skills, experience and abilities:
- Demonstrated experience using databases to accurately create, maintain and locate records and ability to generate reports and analysis using database tools.
- Demonstrated experience and skills using Microsoft Office Suite (or similar software) including Excel to record, extract and/or analyze data, and Word to create publication-ready, professionally formatted documents.
- Self-starter with high standards for accuracy, quality of work, and quality of customer service.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and as part of a diverse workforce.
- Ability to maintain regular and reliable attendance, and to perform essential work onsite on a schedule that aligns with Fire Prevention Division regular business hours (8am-4:30pm). Some remote work and a hybrid schedule may be possible.
- Ability to multi-task and enjoy a fast-paced environment.
- Meticulous attention to detail and quality.
- Demonstrated experience providing high quality customer service to internal and external customers.
- Strong communication skills, verbally and in writing.
- Ability to periodically lift 30-pound boxes of files.
Initial selection steps for this position will include: 1. an oral interview (50%), 2. skills test including Excel and Word proficiency exams (40%), 3. evaluation of application, resume and cover letter (10%).
Location: Seattle, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle/jobs/3359385/administrative-specialist-2-fire-prevention-division-engineering-unit?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $26.92 - $30.14/ HR
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903