Employer: Pierce County Washington
Applications received by 1/7 will be given first consideration.
Why It's a Great Opportunity:
As an accounting professional, you will have the opportunity to develop and lead a team of highly talented accounting assistants and make a tangible difference in Pierce County.
This position has broad responsibility and impact, including oversite of complex cash management and fiscal activity within the office. You will be a partner in metrics and analysis officewide and provide support to and back-up coverage for the Fiscal Manager.
Some of the work you will support may include:
- Budget (Budget Socrata boards and Open Pierce County)
- Cost Allocations
- Voter Maintenance/Elections reimbursement billings
Why It's a Great Department:
The Pierce County Auditor's Office is extremely customer focused, providing services that touch most every citizen. Our responsibilities include elections, licensing services, and public records. The Fiscal Division supports all these units. Our customers include our own staff, other departments and entities, and the customers we all serve.
We process millions of dollars a year in revenues, which are distributed to Federal, State, and local entities (including Pierce County). Major collection points include Point-of-Sale over the counter, mail in, and on-line payments. Other revenue sources include grants, contract service payments, and elections and voter maintenance reimbursements. Fiscal activities include AP, AR, procurement, cash management, payroll, grants management, budget development and monitoring, expenditure control, inventory control (including fixed assets, grant inventories, and small and attractive items). Related specialized fiscal activity includes cost allocation plan development, rate development, bids, RFP’s and RFQu’s and resulting contracts for specialized services and products, long range financial planning, and cost benefit analysis. We are responsible for four Fund budgets in addition to our General Fund Auditor’s Office budget.
How to be Successful in the Role:
We are looking for someone who understands and can perform cash management and fiscal functions officewide. We need a problem solver who can reconcile balancing issues, provide guidance and resolve fiscal questions and issues. As an analytical, yet customer focused leader, you will deduce errors quickly to facilitate balancing while communicating the daily workload to your team.
Your Future in this Role:
We have many strategic initiatives and projects in flight, and you will have the ability to immediately contribute to the team’s success. You will be guided through the process with coaching-focused managerial support, a team that wants you to be successful in your role, and an organizational culture that encourages continuous learning and professional development.
Core Daily Responsibilities:
- Partners in oversite of all cash management and supervises fiscal activities in the Auditor's Office.
- Monitors and performs program budget and budget changes, analyzes budget variance.
- Controls expenditures in accordance with budget allocations, reviews proposed expenditures for compliance with allotted budget, and recommends approval or disapproval of expenditures, and related reimbursement billings.
- Supervises and coordinates activities of accounting support workers. Determines work procedures, prepares work schedules and determines methods for expediting workflow. Issues instructions and verifies work for accuracy, neatness, and conformance to established procedures and policies.
- Makes day-to-day decisions regarding the accounting treatment of financial transactions; responds to problems encountered by subordinate staff.
- Responsible for metrics and data collection for monitoring and presentations including reports on departmental activities.
- Develops and applies cost allocations for the office.
- Recommends direct reports for reassignment, promotion, or termination; performs evaluations of work assignments on the job.
- A classification description with a more detailed list of essential function can be found here.
- Two or more years of college coursework with major emphasis in accounting, bookkeeping, or related field and three or more years of related work experience with at least two years of supervisory/lead experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, management or other business-related are desirable.
- Additional education and experience may substitute for the recruiting requirements.
- As a condition of employment, the applicant will need to authorize and complete a background check. Information received from the background check is reviewed case-by-case and will not necessarily remove an applicant from consideration.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
To be considered for this opportunity please:
- Complete and submit an online Pierce County Employment Application by selecting "APPLY" above or go to: www.piercecountywa.org/jobs.
- If you do not have internet access, you may visit your local public library or any WorkSource location and use their computers.
- Individuals needing accommodation in the application, testing process or need this job announcement in an alternative format may call Human Resources at (253) 798-7480, at least two days prior to the need.
At Pierce County, diversity, equity, and inclusion means commitment, not a single step. We strive to foster an inclusive environment that supports equitable access to opportunities throughout your career. We want to recruit, develop, and maintain a talented workforce from various backgrounds, cultures, lifestyles, and perspectives, committed to our vision. Employees of the County have local, direct, and visible impact in our diverse community. Will you join us in keeping Pierce County a place people are proud to call home?
Location: Tacoma, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/piercecountywa/jobs/3363052/accounting-assistant-4?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $33.38 - $42.31/ HR
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903