Job ID 00000294505
Date posted 12/27/2021
Location Renton, Washington
At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We’re committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that’s welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
Boeing Commercial Airplanes has an exciting opportunity for a Blue Streak Mechanic to join one of our teams in the Puget Sound region.
Employees in this position perform sheet metal, template layout, duct assemblies, flat pattern development, and construct temporary tools involving compound angles and curves, to expedite the fabrication and assembly of mechanical components and parts. May be required to work on live aircraft. Employment in this position also requires lifting and carrying less than 10 pounds, finger manipulation, flexion/extension, handling, rotation of head/neck, sitting, standing, walking, contact with metals, exposure to noise and atmospheric conditions, and the use of personal safety gear for face/eye, hand/arm, ears and feet.
- Obtain work order from incoming rack; work from schedules or hot list.
- Obtain drawings if not with Work Order (W/O).
- Read W/O and drawings to determine work to be accomplished.
- Order any special details and/or standards that are required by the W/O or engineering drawing.
- Check material against W/O for correct quantity, alloy, temper, and for acceptance by Quality Assurance (QA).
- Check for damage prior to starting job.
- Develop three-dimensional flat patterns using sheet metal practices and shop mathematics including geometry, trigonometry and layout and lofting methods.
- Fabricate temporary fixtures to form sheet metal tube or duct parts involving compound curves and/or angles.
- Check set-up and shop aids per drawing dimension, as required.
- Develop true views, patterns and/or layout from non-true view.
- Layout locations on parts for holes, angles, bends, and cutouts from drawings, patterns, or templates, as required.
- Cut to size, bend, punch, and dimple sheet metal parts and duct parts.
- Break sharp edges as required.
- Select drills, reamers, and/or countersinking tools for pilot and full size holes per drawing, W/O, or tool instructions.
- Drill, spotface, countersink, and tap (if required) holes to correct size using drill motor or drill press.
- Set countersink to proper depth.
- Disassemble parts and deburr holes using chip chaser, deburring tools, and files to break sharp edges to prepare for installation of fasteners.
- Solvent clean surfaces prior to applying sealant or assembling.
- Apply alodine, primer, sealant, adhesives, or other special finishes as required.
- Handle and dispose of hazardous material (e.g., paints sealants, solvent) in approved manner.
- Determine/obtain correct type and size fasteners from storage area.
- Assemble parts using rivets and bolts with correct tools such as rivet squeeze, lock bolt puller, rivet gun, bucking bar, power screwdriver, or ratchet per engineering requirements.
- Fit and assemble components using appropriate jigs, fixtures and shop aids per drawing, as required.
- Perform first part check for conformance to required specifications, as required.
- Mark parts using rubber stamp, virbo-engraver, steel stamps, identification tape, stencils, and/or tags as required by W/O or specification.
- Sell completed or in-process checks at appropriate steps in sequence.
- Rework and/or incorporate changes, as required, to assemblies to meet engineering specifications.
- Coordinate with engineering to develop solutions to manufacturing problems.
- Leave oral or written tie-ins for following shifts.
- Maintain personal and tool certifications as required.
This position is expected to be 100% onsite. The selected candidate will be required to work onsite at one of the listed location options.
The position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a “US Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required. “US Person” includes US Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
- 1+ years of experience in setting and using precision measuring tools and equipment such as micrometers, calipers, and/or dial indicators
- Must be able to lift, push and pull up to 35 pounds frequently within an 8 hour shift
- 1+ years of experience working with powered hand tools
- Must have experience with reading and interpreting drawings, specifications, material processes, schematic and diagrams
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Experience with Computer Aided Design
- Fabrication of airplane parts
- Fabrication of temporary tooling
High school graduate or GED preferred.
This position is located in a location that does not offer relocation. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense.
This position is for 2nd shift.
Drug Free Workplace:
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
Other Relevant Information & Requirements:
- Resumes of current Puget Sound Boeing employees submitted via Careers at Boeing will be considered as this job is not installed in QTTP.
- This is an hourly position governed by the IAM Collective Bargaining agreement.
Boeing is implementing new requirements for employees to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 or have an approved reasonable accommodation based on local legislation in several countries. Please refer here for current vaccination and/or reasonable accommodation requirements, and timelines based on location.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Location: Renton, WA
Application Method: Online: https://jobs.boeing.com/job/renton/blue-streak-mechanic/185/20831933280
Base Pay: DOQ
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903