Employer: Western States Equipment
SUCCESS AT WESTERN STATES: Western State’s culture is based on passion for our Vision, Mission, and VALUES. We are fiercely committed to SAFETY and sending every employee, safely home, every day. We strive for EXCELLENCE in all we do and are proud to be a “play to win” organization. We act with INTEGRITY in each and every decision we make. Our People and TEAMWORK drive a fun and engaging culture. We are ACCOUNTABLE as individuals and as an organization.
JOB SUMMARY: The Technician Apprentice is responsible for basic maintenance and heavy equipment repair, under the supervision of a Journeyman or Master level Technician. Developing skillset include diagnosis, removing, repairing, installing, disassembling, assembling, rebuilding, and reconditioning, according to manufacturer specifications.
- Actively cares, promotes, manages, and advocates safety at Western States. As a team member in the organization, it is critical to ensure all employees, vendors, and clients have a safe work environment while adhering to all applicable safety policies, procedures and standards.
- Ability to complete Job Hazard Analysis (JHA’s) prior to any job-related tasks according to WSECO’s policy and standards.
- Maintains clean/clutter free personal work areas to ensure safe environment for all WSECO employees.
- Adhering to required personal protective equipment (PPE) as identified in safety policy.
Diagnosis, Troubleshooting, and Repair
- Develops basic troubleshooting skills on various engine and equipment systems under the supervision of a Journeyman or Master Level Technician.
- Assists with skill level appropriate testing while comparing data to specifications to determine if the system is working as designed.
- Assists with repairs and diagnosing machine failures according to WSECO’s time requirement guidelines.
- Performs experience level appropriate tasks independently, including inspections and minor troubleshooting, when scheduled for required preventative maintenance service.
Engines and Powertrain
- Ability to independently complete engine preventative maintenance and inspect/repair external engine components.
- Performs preventative maintenance duties on powertrain including proper additive use and oil sampling. Basic troubleshooting and repair include but not limited to identifying leaks, replacing seals/hub bearings and races, adjusting clutch brakes, removing/inspecting axles, and identifying u-joint and yoke series.
- Basic understanding and assisted replacement of various brake systems.
Electrical, Hydraulics, HVAC, and Cab
- Understands basic electrical components with the ability to test, repair, and replace circuits. Includes but is not limited to Deutsch and Ampseal Connectors, 6/12/24 battery voltage systems, and ability to repair/replace varies harness types.
- Ability to independently perform basic hydraulic systems maintenance to include but not limited to fluid and filter replacement, full system cleanout, adjusting relief valve pressures, and pump flows.
- Troubleshoot and service HVAC systems to include evacuating, recharging, and replacing components when required.
- Basic understanding of general mechanical/electrical cab functions pertaining to operator interfaces.
- Under supervision of Journeyman or Master level technician performs general tasks in troubleshooting and repair of various frame and suspension systems including tracks, track pads, drive sprockets, and idlers.
- Ability to identify undercarriage components and perform track sag measurements.
- Participates in continued education and training initiatives as outlined in the Western States Equipment Technician Career Development Plan. (TCDP)
- Learns how to utilize service manuals (STW, SIS and parts books) to address technical issues and perform all required tasks within technician level abilities, in accordance to printed procedures.
- Develops familiarity with parts reusability guidelines.
- Develops ability to write and read complete, factual service reports for files and warranty purposes using STW for timely work order closing.
- Develops skill sets to address all inquiries in a prompt and friendly manner in an effort to meet or exceed internal/external client expectations.
- Performs other duties as assigned while developing a mindset for technician productivity.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Basic computer/typing skills.
- Ability to obtain job related certifications for any specialty equipment such as but not limited to forklifts, rigging and overhead cranes, etc.
- Developing knowledge of manufacturer specific software. (SIS, ET, and STW)
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Consistent attendance and timeliness with the ability to work overtime with limited notice.
- Working within and promoting Western States’ purpose, vision and values.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proof of high school diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- Associates degree in diesel technology, trade school diploma, or one-year equivalent experience in a Caterpillar or similar environment with hydraulic, engine and powertrain experience required.
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record required.
- Appropriate technician level tooling required.
- Must be able to communicate (speak, read, comprehend, write in English).
Ability to stand for long periods of time along with walking, sitting, repetitive climbing stairs, reaching (including but not limited to above-shoulder reaching), repetitive bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, leaning and twisting.
Exposure to extreme temperatures and environment.
Ability to lift up to 60 lbs. in accordance with Western States’ Lifting Policy to include amount and approach.
Must be able to meet all safety requirements for applicable safety policies.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. It is not intended be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees in this classification.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Location: Spokane, WA
Application Method: Online: https://recruiting2.ultipro.com/WES1008TTCI/JobBoard/12c3b909-9215-4720-aef9-f50089d1254c/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=35860a08-6db2-4a6d-aa45-17613a1bd7b2
Base Pay: DOQ
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903