Employer: Western States Equipment
SUCCESS AT WESTERN STATES: Western State’s culture is based on passion for our Vision, Mission, and VALUES. We are fiercely committed to SAFETY and sending every employee, safely home, every day. We strive for EXCELLENCE in all we do and are proud to be a “play to win” organization. We act with INTEGRITY in each and every decision we make. Our People and TEAMWORK drive a fun and engaging culture. We are ACCOUNTABLE as individuals and as an organization.
JOB SUMMARY: The Journeyman Equipment Technician is responsible for independent diagnosis, failure analysis, and repair of Caterpillar and allied equipment. Duties include but not limited to removing, repairing, assembling, installing according to manufacturer specifications and technician appropriate skillset.
- Actively cares, promotes, manages, and advocates safety at Western States. As a team member in the organization, it is critical to ensure all employees, vendors, and clients have a safe work environment while adhering to all applicable safety policies, procedures and standards.
- Ability to complete Job Hazard Analysis (JHA’s) prior to any job-related tasks according to WSECO’s policy and standards.
- Maintains clean/clutter free personal work areas to ensure safe environment for all WSECO employees.
- Adhering to required personal protective equipment (PPE) as identified in safety policy.
Diagnosis, Troubleshooting, and Repair
- Demonstrates troubleshooting skills on various engine and equipment systems.
- Skill level appropriate testing while comparing data to specifications to determine if the system is working as designed.
- Repairs and diagnoses machine failures according to WSECO’s time requirement guidelines.
- Performs tasks independently, including inspections and troubleshooting, when scheduled for required preventative maintenance service.
Engines and Powertrain
- Completes engine preventative maintenance and inspects/repairs internal engine components to include common rail fuel systems, and SCR/DEF systems.
- Troubleshoots and repairs powertrain components.
- Demonstrates understanding of various brake systems and ability to repair when required.
Electrical, Hydraulics, HVAC, and Cab
- Understands, tests, and repairs complex electrical systems. Includes but is not limited to Deutsch and Ampseal Connectors, 6/12/24 battery voltage systems, and ability to repair/replace varies harness types.
- Troubleshoot and service HVAC systems to include evacuating, recharging, and replacing components when required.
- Performs general mechanical/electrical cab functions pertaining to operator interfaces.
- Performs general tasks in troubleshooting and repair of various frame and suspension systems including tracks, track pads, drive sprockets, and idlers.
- Identifies undercarriage components and perform track sag measurements.
- Participates in continued education and training initiatives as outlined in the Western States Equipment Technician Career Development Plan. (TCDP)
- Utilizes service manuals (STW, SIS and parts books) to address technical issues and perform all required tasks within technician level abilities, in accordance to printed procedures.
- Utilizes parts reusability guidelines.
- Completes actual service reports for files and warranty purposes using STW for timely work order closing.
- Addresses all inquiries in a prompt and friendly manner in an effort to meet or exceed internal/external client expectations.
- Performs other duties as assigned while developing a mindset for technician productivity.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to navigate Microsoft products.
- Ability to obtain job related certifications for any specialty equipment such as but not limited to forklifts, rigging and overhead cranes, etc.
- General knowledge of manufacturer specific software. (SIS, ET, and STW)
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Consistent attendance and timeliness with the ability to work overtime with limited notice.
- Working within and promoting Western States’ purpose, vision and values.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proof of high school diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- Associates degree in diesel technology, trade school diploma, preferred.
- Minimum of three years equivalent experience in a Caterpillar or similar environment with hydraulic, engine and powertrain experience required.
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record required.
- Appropriate technician level tooling required.
- Must be able to communicate (speak, read, comprehend, write in English).
- Ability to stand for long periods of time along with walking, sitting, repetitive climbing stairs, reaching (including but not limited to above-shoulder reaching), repetitive bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, leaning and twisting.
- Exposure to extreme temperatures and environment.
- Ability to lift up to 60 lbs. in accordance with Western States’ Lifting Policy to include amount and approach.
- Must be able to meet all safety requirements for applicable safety policies.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. It is not intended be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees in this classification.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Location: Spokane, WA
Application Method: Online: https://recruiting2.ultipro.com/WES1008TTCI/JobBoard/12c3b909-9215-4720-aef9-f50089d1254c/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=ef9abff9-cd13-400f-b37d-b53448ee81ac
Base Pay: DOQ
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903