Job ID 00000292143
Date posted 12/12/2021
Location Tukwila, Washington; Seattle, Washington; Everett, Washington
At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We’re committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that’s welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
Boeing Commercial Airplanes is seeking Developmental & Test Mechanics to join our team in Tukwila, Seattle and Everett, WA locations!
Mechanics in this position work with and assist engineering, experimental, and test groups to develop parts, production methods, and procedures. These mechanics will assist in layout, develop, fabricate, and assemble complex compound and variable angled structural and mechanical parts for spares, experimental, and test projects.
- Employees will fabricate, install, maintain and repair hydraulic systems, hardware and equipment.
- Employees will fabricate and assemble instrumentation probes for engineering projects and testing.
- Employees may travel to outplant locations to perform testing.
- Employment in this position also requires pushing/pulling, standing, reaching, handling, turning/twisting, lifting/lowering parts, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, squatting, crawling, use of vibratory tools, supporting up to 35 pounds, contact with dust, fumes, resins, solvents, lubricants, adhesives, exposure to moving parts and machinery, tight places, heights, high voltage electricity, high-pressure air, steam, hydraulics, and explosive ordinance, and the use of personal safety gear for face/eye, respiration, ears and feet.
- May require working in confined spaces, wet fuel cells or on live aircraft, inclement weather, adverse conditions at remote locations with minimum of support.
- Review any sketches, drawings and specifications to aid in accomplishing the job.
- Provide support to engineers and work with technicians in sequencing of work operations, troubleshooting and problem resolution.
- Develop methods for pneumatic, hydraulic and mechanical tests, when procedures have not been established.
- Select and use proper hand and power tools (e.g., screwdrivers, pliers, cutters, rivet guns, drills) needed to perform a given operation.
- Use precision measurement tools (e.g., micrometer, calipers) to measure dimensions per drawing, sketches, and engineer requirements.
- Layout, drill and ream close tolerance holes, as required.
- Construct hydraulic, low/high pressure and steam plumbing to operate test equipment.
- Flare, cut, and silver solder tubing.
- Operate pendant cranes and mechanical lifts to facilitate movement, installation, removal and maintenance of test equipment, modules, parts and assemblies.
- Perform required rigging, as required.
- Construct, assemble or disassemble any necessary test structures, parts and shop aids required to perform a test function utilizing various shop equipment, (e.g., drill press, shear, break form, band saw).
- Hook up auxiliary support equipment (e.g., hoses, lines, thermocouples, pumps).
- Employees will weld thermocouples and install and test for proper operation, as required.
- Use sealant in fuel cells and other assemblies to be tested.
- Assemble, disassemble, rebuild, and test hydraulic pumps, actuators, accumulators, valves, and hose assemblies.
- Lockout, tagout and tryout systems for safety before performing tests, as required.
- Perform service and maintenance on test structures, equipment and components (e.g., hydraulic systems, pumps and other support equipment).
- Operate and maintain high and low pressure/volume compressors and methyl chlorine chillers.
- Control and monitor systems using computer programs and periodic onsite observations.
- Prepare wind tunnel and nozzle test cells by performing balance pull tests, installing parts/models and associated apparatus in order to assist engineering in obtaining test data.
- Perform flammability test on airplane parts (e.g., seats, wastebaskets, ducting, and firewalls) per FAA and engineering standards.
- Bag, label and route hazardous material for disposal.
- Fill and drain aircraft fuel tanks to measure trapped residual fuel using instrumentation (e.g., flow meters) and mathematical calculations.
- Operate pump equipment, explosive vapor tester and enter the wet fuel cell tanks, as required, to execute tests.
This position is expected to be 100% onsite. The selected candidate will be required to work onsite at one of the listed location options.
The position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a “US Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required. “US Person” includes US Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
- Willing and able to work in confined spaces
- This position requires work to be performed at heights up to 125 feet about ground level with appropriate safety gear. You are required to take and pass Fall Protection training.
- This job requires the use of respirators.
- Experience in aircraft maintenance or manufacturing
- Able to lift, push and pull up to 35 pounds frequently within an 8 hour shift
- Willing and able to work any shift
- High school graduate or GED preferred.
- This position is for variable shift.
This position is located in a location that does not offer relocation. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense.
Drug Free Workplace:
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
Other Relevant Information & Requirements:
Current Boeing employees working in Puget Sound and Portland must submit an Employee Request Transfer (ERT) to be considered in the eligible candidate pool. Resumes of current Puget Sound Boeing employees submitted via Careers at Boeing will not be considered.
This is an hourly position governed by the IAM Collective Bargaining agreement.
Boeing is implementing new requirements for employees to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 or have an approved reasonable accommodation based on local legislation in several countries including U.S.-based employees. Please refer here for current vaccination and/or reasonable accommodation requirements, and timelines based on location.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Contingent Upon Program Award
No, this position is not contingent upon program award
Location: Multiple Locations
Application Method: Online: https://jobs.boeing.com/job/tukwila/developmental-and-test-mechanic/185/19972733904
Base Pay: DOQ
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903