Employer: Washington State Department of Transportation
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is looking for an energetic and motivated individual to take on fiscal and administrative tasks at the Maintenance Office located in Tacoma, WA. In this role, you will work as part of a team to provide daily assistance to the public and staff members at the site while answering and directing telephone calls and performing daily office duties. The Fiscal Technician will be responsible for accounting, payroll, and customer service for the Area Maintenance office as well as provide assistance to the Maintenance and Operations Superintendent and Fiscal Specialist Supervisor with administrative support. You will certainly thrive in this position if you have experience in customer service, knowledge of purchasing and payment reconciliation, and possess strong attention to detail.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, you will:
- Review timecard entries, and assist employees and supervisors with clearing exception errors, coding errors, and leave requests.
- Review and audit timesheets for compliance with Washington Administrative Codes (WACs), Revised Codes of Washington (RCWs), Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBAs), policies, and procedures.
- Monitor accrual and usage for leave balances for staff.
- Prepare, audit, verify, and process financial documents, such as vouchers, purchase requests, invoices, and receipts.
- Verify accuracy of fiscal transactions and takes corrective action if necessary.
- Review, audit, and verify invoices for accuracy and compliance with department policies and procedures.
- Prepare invoices for processing via TRAINS Payment Vouchering System and Purchasing Card Management System.
- Assist in making travel arrangements for staff.
- Serve as the primary telephone and building receptionist.
- Update and maintain office records, personnel records, correspondence, files, and call out lists.
- Schedule appointments and meetings.
- Issue permits and permit reports.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- High school graduation or GED equivalency.
- Two (2) year of general clerical/fiscal experience (education may substitute on a year for year basis).
- Experience providing excellent customer service to diverse clientele.
- Experience performing standard accounting and payroll applications.
- Experience interpreting and presenting departmental policies in verbal and written communications.
- Experience with office equipment, including computer software, printer, copier, scanner, fax, calculator, and multi-line telephone.
- Broad computer technology and software skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office Products, web-based and mainframe programs.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Working knowledge of the WSDOT’s accounting and information systems.
- Working knowledge in 2-way radio and multi-line telephone.
This recruitment may also be used to fill additional positions per business needs.
By issuance of proclamation, the Governor of Washington State mandates that all employees who work for executive cabinet agencies (which includes the Department of Transportation) must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. This is a condition of employment with WSDOT. Exemption may be granted for religious or medical purposes, however, accommodations will be subject to approval based on the essential functions required of the position.
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 11 paid holidays, full-time employees earn up to 25 paid vacation days per year!
- Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov.
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Robyn Lovely at LovelyR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-OR-32538 in the subject line.
Location: Tacoma, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/3326324/fiscal-technician-2?page=3&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $32,856 - $43,392/ YR
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903