Employer: Washington State Department of Transportation
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking a mechanically inclined individual to fill an Equipment Technician Lead in our Transportation Equipment Fund (TEF) program located in our Area 1 Ellensburg shop. In this position you will provide customers with well-maintained vehicles & equipment; including radio communications, that meets users' needs; so that they may accomplish their services to the public in a safe, efficient, timely, and cost-effective manner. This position inspects, diagnoses, and makes major and minor repairs, and performs preventative maintenance on all types of equipment used in highway maintenance or heavy and industrial/commercial equipment. This position also performs emergency repairs outside the shop and assists other technicians in repairs. If you are a reliable, safety-minded mechanic, then we have an exciting opportunity for you.
What to Expect
This position works a 4/10 schedule, with opportunity for overtime. Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Lead Mechanic will:
- Plan, schedule, and direct operations, maintenance, and repair activities for our equipment fleet & fuel sites in the Ellensburg shop section of South Central Area 1.
- Respond to both routine & emergency equipment related situations within WSDOT agency guidelines.
- Inspect and road test equipment for diagnosis and repair.
- Ensure that all WSDOT Equipment is properly maintained and repaired within Agency goals.
- Demonstrate effective & high level of customer service, including strong communication skills.
- Support and lead daily, weekly, monthly TEF crew safety meetings including pre-activity safety plans within agency standards.
- Operate a service truck out of the Ellensburg route sections as needed.
- Answer emergency call backs 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Proficiently utilize M5/Fleet Equipment Management System for various shop management, with appropriate information for providing dependable fleet performance data & cost information needed for fleet analysis
- Use M5/Fleet Equipment Management System to ensure an accountable, economical repair parts inventory per TEF program rules and procedures.
- Order appropriate preventative maintenance and repair parts for our equipment. Handle proper storage & disposal of TEF generated waste/hazardous waste.
- Responsible for the Ellensburg TEF shop inventory.
- Ensure that the Ellensburg equipment repair parts purchased are completed in compliance of WSDOT agency’s purchasing rules & regulations.
- Code & process invoices and forwards to TEF administration or parts staff for accounting and payment.
- Organize, clean, maintain a safe, orderly, clean shop, parts rooms, shop parking areas & yard on a regular basis.
- Ability to operate shop equipment such as welders, drill press, grinder, press, hoist, air tools, power tools, forklifts, computerized diagnostic equipment, hand tools and jacks for the purpose of repairing equipment or fabricating one of a kind specialty parts and accessories.
- Maneuver in, on, around and under various pieces of equipment for the purpose of servicing, diagnostic testing, and repairing in an efficient manner.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Three (3) years of experience as a journey-level mechanic maintaining and repairing heavy-duty equipment, OR journey-level standing as a heavy equipment mechanic, demonstrated by completion of a recognized apprenticeship, OR by journey-level standing as recognized by a labor union.
- A valid driver’s license, with the ability to obtain a Class A Commercial Driver License (CDL) with N endorsement within 12 months of hire date.
- Must be able to effectively use Fleet Equipment Management software.
- Demonstrated effectiveness to communicate professionally with diverse audiences.
- Experience working independently to prioritize workload and handle multiple assignments.
- Experience utilizing computer software, such as MS Excel, Access, and Word.
- Must be able to report in service to assigned duty station within 60 minutes of an after-hours call.
- Work alternate and emergency shifts as situations dictate.
- Ability to relocate tools, equipment, and materials weighing up to 50lbs from one location to another in safe manner, which may include replacing plow bits, loader bucket bits, big tires, and wheels.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Journey-level standing through the completion of an accredited automotive or equipment industry apprenticeship.
- Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certifications (Automotive and/or Heavy truck).
- Associates of Applied Science (AA) degree or above in automotive or Heavy equipment technology or other equivalent accredited education in a similar or related field of study.
- Professional/Trade school certificates pertaining to light or heavy automotive, heavy equipment or fleet management.
*You may be asked to provide copies of transcripts, certifications, or other related credentials you have.
By issuance of proclamation, the Governor of Washington State mandates that all employees who work for executive cabinet agencies (which includes the Department of Transportation) must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. This is a condition of employment with WSDOT. Exemption may be granted for religious or medical purposes, however, accommodations will be subject to approval based on the essential functions required of the position.
This position may subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
Work-Life Balance – We offer flexible work schedules that allow you time for your life outside of this excellent opportunity.
Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter at fieldsS@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-SCR-50564 in the subject line.
Location: Ellensburg, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/3200292/equipment-technician-lead?page=3&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $56,856 - $65,928/ YR
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903