Employer: City of Kent, WA
Come work at a place where you have a direct impact on the quality of life for Kent residents, business owners and visitors alike!
The City of Kent is currently accepting applications for an Accounting Technician position in our Information Technology Department. The incumbent in this position will be responsible for performing a variety of difficult and complex accounting and administrative duties. The ideal candidate will be able to keep detailed and accurate records; possess exceptional accounting skills; and be adept at solving problems in a fast-paced work environment. If you have three (3) years of increasingly responsible accounting, bookkeeping or related experience, the Accounting Technician may be just the position for you!
The selection process for this position will consist of a phone screen, panel interview, and an Excel assessment. Phone screen interviews are scheduled for December 1-3, panel interviews are scheduled for December 8-10. Dates are tentative and subject to change. A second interview may also be scheduled for finalists.
**Please note that you must attach your cover letter and resume to your application in order for your application to be considered complete. Uploading your resume to auto-fill portions of the application does not automatically attach it to your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered for this position. If you experience technical difficulties, please contact our office Monday-Friday, between 8:00 AM- 5:00 PM at (253) 856-5270 and we will do our best to assist you.**
An unranked eligibility list may be established at the conclusion of the selection process that would be in effect for up to 12 months.
$56,484- $68,748 annually, depending on qualifications
Under the direction of the Information Technology (IT) Director and/or the Administrative Services Supervisor, perform a variety of difficult and complex technical, accounting, and administrative duties, including, but not limited to payroll, journal entry, and cost accounting functions; provide technical software support and training for the web work order and accounting system; and performing administrative support duties not requiring the immediate attention of the supervisor.
Work is characterized by a variety of difficult and complex administrative, technical, accounting and recordkeeping duties in support of the IT Department. Duties include, but are not limited to, collecting and organizing information from multiple sections of IT; facilitating proper recordkeeping in accordance with applicable rules and standards; responding to questions from employees when verifying documentation; performing complex data processing for the web work order and accounting system; reconciling detailed reports; performing special projects as assigned; performing payroll entry into the automated payroll management system for the department; reviewing and verifying labor distributions and equipment cost distribution; allocating appropriate costs by preparing month end journal entries; answering telephones, providing information and assistance to callers, including the public, City employees, and various outside agencies.
Work is performed under general supervision. The supervisor defines objectives, priorities, and deadlines; and assists the incumbent with unusual situations, which do not have clear objectives or precedents. The incumbent plans and carries out assignments and handles problems and deviations in accordance with instructions, policies, procedures, and/or accepted practices. Work is evaluated for technical soundness and conformity to practice and policy.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collect and organize information from multiple sections of IT, such as timesheets, work orders and other documentation providing complex groupings of assets where specific activities have been performed; validate and cross-reference timesheets, work orders and other documents to prepare for processing; facilitate proper recordkeeping in all documents in accordance with applicable laws, rules and standards; respond to questions from employees when verifying documentation.
- Perform payroll entry into the automated payroll management system; calculate adjustments to payroll and verify accuracy of payroll data entry.
- Perform complex data processing for the web work order and accounting system which includes data creation, maintenance, retrieval, and deletion of information; job costing and ordering support activities; daily-monthly and yearly billing and reporting activities.
- Create, run, and maintain standard and custom reporting of city desktop printer and multi function device fleet usage and costs. Run reports; analyze costs and trends as required through established processes and procedures.
- Review and verify labor distributions and equipment cost distribution and allocate appropriate costs by preparing month end journal entries; prepare inter-fund billings and account receivable invoices.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of financial, payroll and benefits records, reports, data, files and correspondence.
- Copy and distribute monthly cellular phone bills on a citywide basis in accordance with the city’s cellular phone bill policy and IT processing procedures.
- Set priorities on high volumes of work, perform numerous task assignments simultaneously and coordinate with others to meet strict deadlines.
- Provide technical assistance to staff regarding the web work order and accounting system; resolve problems, provide information and explain procedures related to the payroll software; serve as a resource to other staff members utilizing the payroll software.
- Reconcile month end journal entries and transfer charges to appropriate budgets.
- Review and monitor purchase orders and expense codes.
- Assist in preparing financial data related to the department budget as needed.
- Type correspondence, memoranda, forms and other documents from typed or hand-written sources; proofread and edit materials, as required.
- Respond to questions regarding employee time entries, leave banks, benefits records and related information.
- Perform special projects and research.
- Provide customer service duties for department such as answer telephones; greet visitors; provide information and assistance to callers, including the public, City employees and various outside agencies.
- Actively support the vision, mission, values and goals of the department and the City.
PERIPHERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform related duties as assigned.
SUCCESSFUL INCUMBENTS FOR THIS POSITION WILL:
HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE OF:
- Principles, practices and procedures of general bookkeeping, statistics and accounting
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment
- Windows-based computer software applications, accounting and payroll systems
- Municipal organization, operations, policies and objectives; and applicable local, state and federal laws, codes, regulations and ordinances
- Basic administrative research and analysis methods and practices
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary
BE SKILLED IN:
- Training others in the use of assigned software
- Demonstrating effective interpersonal relations using tact, patience and courtesy at all times
- Effectively organizing ideas through the use of oral and written communications
- Effectively communicating technical ideas in layperson’s terms
- Planning, prioritizing and organizing work in order to meet schedules and timelines
- Electronic and hardcopy recordkeeping techniques and requirements
- Using proper telephone techniques and etiquette to properly assist a diverse assortment of inquiries and persons
- Composing, editing and assembling diverse data, correspondence and reports
- Using computer spreadsheets and databases for analysis and review of complex information
- Working on multiple tasks and/or projects simultaneously
- Working with large volumes of detailed written material and data efficiently and accurately
HAVE THE ABILITY TO:
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals; computing rate, ratio and percent
- Perform complex payroll-related calculations in accordance with applicable rules and standards
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action
- Effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, employees and customers with diplomacy and tact
- Perform clerical and administrative duties of above average difficulty
- Work independently with little direction
- Plan and organize work
- Provide technical software assistance to department staff on the web work order and accounting system
- Work confidentially with discretion
- Apply specific rules, policies and procedures of the City and IT Department
- Operate a variety of standard office equipment
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Read, comprehend, interpret, apply and explain appropriate rules, regulations, instructions, procedural manuals, policies and contracts
- Accurately prepare, proofread and edit reports, correspondence, memoranda and procedural manuals
- Complete work in spite of many interruptions
SKILLS FOR THE POSITION MAY BE GAINED THROUGH EDUCATION, CERTIFICATION, RELEVANT JOB EXPERIENCE or a COMBINATION, SUCH AS :
Graduation from high school, general education degree (GED), or equivalent, supplemented by two (2) years of college level courses in business, bookkeeping, accounting or related field; and
Three (3) years of increasingly responsible administrative support, accounting, bookkeeping or related experience involving the processing and maintenance of complex financial and statistical records and/or work in related computer software applications.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Valid Washington State driver’s license is desirable
Web work order and accounting software support experience is desirable
MACHINES, TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Typical business office machinery and equipment used include, but are not limited to, personal computer, printers, telephone, fax, copy machine and calculator.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit and work on a computer for extended periods of time; use hands to finger, handle or feel; talk and hear normally with or without mechanical assistance. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds with or without assistance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
Work is performed primarily in an indoor environment. When performing work in the office, the employee is subject to frequent interruptions by employees, telephone calls and interoffice activities. The incumbent may also be exposed to individuals who are irate or hostile. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate except in emergency situations.
The City of Kent is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Location: Kent, WA
Application Method: Online: https://jobs.kentwa.gov/accounting-technician/job/18023768
Base Pay: $56,484 - $68,748/ YR
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903