Employer: Swedish Health Services
Swedish Medical Center is looking for a REMOTE Inpatient Coding Specialist (1.0 FTE, Day Shift) to work at Coding and Abstracting in Swedish Shared Services at First Hill in Seattle, Washington.
SCHEDULE: Fully remote. Flexible between Monday-Sunday. Must work five, 8 hour shifts between 6a-6p PST weekly. While days/hours are flexible, employees must attend mandatory meetings if outside their normal schedule. Overtime is available.
The Coding Specialist is responsible to assign diagnosis and procedure codes on inpatient and outpatient cases using ICD-10-CM and CPT coding systems, assigns DRGs using the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and All Patient groupers and abstracts data for statistical, reimbursement and regulatory requirements. The Coding Specialist also ensures coding compliance by applying all coding principles and guidelines as defined in the Coding Clinic, CPT Assistant, AHIMA Standards of Ethical Coding, Swedish Medical Center policies and other leading authorities. As a primary member of the Clinical Documentation Improvement Program (CDIP) Team assures that charts are coded to reflect the level of service provided. The CDIP Team is a triad that includes clinical documentation specialists, coders and physicians. Daily interaction and negotiation with team members is required.
In this position you will:
- Identify and codes diagnoses and procedures on all patient records using ICD-10-CM and CPT coding systems and apply all coding principles and guidelines as defined in the Coding Clinic, CPT Assistant, AHIMA Standards of Ethical Coding, Swedish Policies, and other leading authorities.
- Assign optimal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) MS-DRGs and All Patient DRGs.
- Provide education to the medical staff, clinical documentation specialists and hospital staff on documentation, coding and DRG assignment.
- Abstract data on-line per SMC guidelines, State and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure accurate ICD-10-CM, CPT and DRG assignments by using all available functions and edits of the encoding system.
- Required qualifications for this position include:
- Registered Health Information Technologist (RHIT) or Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) or Certified Procedural Coder Hospital (CPC-H) or Certified Coding Associate (CCA) required.
- Three (3) years of ICD-10-CM and CPT coding experience performing hospital based inpatient coding.
- Three (3) months of demonstrated proficiency in a concurrent medical record review program that emphasizes partnering between clinical documentation specialists and coding.
- Completion of a certified coding program and three years related experience. Will consider applicants with relevant experience and applicable education.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and communication skills.
- Demonstrated literacy in the use of personal computers and Windows applications.
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Associate’s degree in Health Information Technology or equivalent from a two-year college/technical school.
About Swedish Shared Services
Swedish is the largest, most comprehensive, nonprofit health provider in the Greater Seattle area. Our expanding network of facilities currently includes three hospital locations in Seattle, a hospital in Edmonds and the new Swedish Issaquah campus. It also consists of Swedish Medical Group’s network of primary care clinics, and affiliations with suburban hospitals and specialty clinics throughout Greater Seattle. Each campus has a local operations leadership team, supported by centrally located and led corporate services, such as Human Resources, Financial and Information Services.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
Our Mission is to improve the health and well-being of each person we serve.
Our Vision is Health for a Better World.
Swedish is the largest not-for-profit health care system in the greater Seattle area. It is comprised of five hospital campuses (First Hill, Cherry Hill, Ballard, Edmonds and Issaquah); emergency rooms and specialty center in Redmond (East King County) and the Mill Creek area in Everett; and Swedish Medical Group, a network of more than 128 primary care and specialty care locations throughout the greater Puget Sound area. Swedish employs nearly 13,000 caregivers (all employees), including nearly 1,400 providers. Whether through physician clinics, education, research and innovation or other outreach, we're committed to caring for the people in our region and beyond. Swedish is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer Swedish does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, protected veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Coding
Req ID: 320065
Location: Seattle, WA
Application Method: Online: https://swedish.jobs/seattle-wa/remote-inpatient-coding-specialist-first-hill/9E03F6DD9C2947A8ADB4AFD1B0F9FDAF/job/?vs=1554&utm_source=Indeed-DE&utm_medium=Job%20Aggregator&utm_campaign=Indeed
Base Pay: DOQ
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903