Employer: Community Health Care
JOB TITLE: Medical Assistant
REPORTS TO: Clinic Manager
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
JOB OVERVIEW: Accountable for provision of quality patient care, clerical support staff duties and effective provider- and clinic-team membership to assure excellence in patient care and customer service. Responsible for practicing within scope of practice under the clinical guidance and direction of licensed personnel and adherence to orders directed by the medical provider to promote positive outcomes.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
Clerical Support Staff Functions:
- Greet patients and visitors with respect and kindness, assisting with registration and appointment scheduling as necessary to maintain patient flow and clinic productivity.
- Assist with incoming telephone calls, take and route messages per call routing guideline
and register and schedule appointments per approved protocol or provider order to
facilitate access to services and promote excellence in customer service.
- Prepare new medical records, file and maintain medical records accurately and with
- Pull medical records or lab/X-ray reports as directed.
- Utilize copier, fax, and computer as required for tasks.
- Collect and enter data into databases as directed.
- Pull and prepare medical records for patient visits.
- Prepare exam rooms, equipment and supplies for exams and procedures, using sterile technique as appropriate.
- Perform timely rooming and preparation of patients for planned purpose of visit, communicating to team members to facilitate patient care and productivity.
- Take and document accurate vital signs (TPR and pain scale), height, weight and chief complaint to facilitate patient care.
- As directed, perform tasks and procedures within scope of practice, documenting accurately and completely in the medical record. These procedures include, but not limited to 12-lead EKG, vision and hearing screenings, PPD administration and reading, immunizations, injections, phlebotomy, and simple wound care and dressing application.
- Assist nursing staff and provider with procedures during exam or treatment and completion of associated requisitions/forms as directed.
- Obtain and prepare specimens for testing, examination or culture using proper technique and following specimen collection guidelines, including operation of the centrifuge, and completion of requisitions and log entry.
- Perform daily clinic duties such as “waived” tests and quality control duties in collaboration with other clinic team members.
- Clean and prepare instruments for sterilization and operate autoclave.
- Clean, decontaminate, and restock exam rooms as necessary and decontaminate equipment and wrap materials for sterilization, including operation of autoclave.
- Document patient data and interaction in the medical record completely and accurately and file progress notes and reports as directed.
- Replace full sharp containers and prepare hazardous materials for pick up.
- Participate in QPI projects, QA activities, data entry and tracking for programs, routine staff meetings, in-services, and team-building activities.
- Perform clerical and clinical duties as assigned by licensed staff, including the OB RN, to assist with quality patient care, customer service and effective teamwork.
1. Prepare “no-show” letters
2. Purge inactive medical records for long-term storage as directed
3. Pull medical records for following day appointments
4. Audit medical records as assigned
5. Obtain medical records from hospitals or other health care source as authorized
6. Copy and release medical records as authorized
7. Collect and report data (such as immunization report) to third parties as assigned
8. Inventory and stock clinic supplies as assigned
9. Act as chaperone for provider as requested
10. Fax medication refills per approved protocol
11. Participate in tracking and contact of patients for scheduled recall visits
12. Post lab, x-ray and other test reports to the medical record for provider review
13. Dispense standard printed patient educational material
14. Direct patient to assistance for referral and scheduling appointments as requested
15. Clean assigned work areas
1. High School Diploma or equivalent
2. Graduation from an accredited, state approved Medical Assistant Program that includes
phlebotomy, medical terminology, CPT and ICD-9 coding procedures and math
3. CPR certification
4. State certification (Health Care Assistant A,C,E – must certify within 50 days of hire)
At least 3 months previous experience working in a clinic environment
1. Ability to be an effective team member
2. Cultural awareness, sensitivity, and competency, including the ability to successfully work
with, and relate to, individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds
3. Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
4. Medical terminology
5. Computer literacy
6. Excellent Customer Service Skills
1. One year experience in community health care and ambulatory care experience.
2. Bilingual capacity
1. Maintain current CPR.
2. Maintain current State of Washington Health Care Assistant Category
A,C and E certification per Washington State regulations.
3. Provide translation when capable and able
4. Attend clinic staff and All Staff meetings
5. Participate in quality improvement projects as assigned
6. Work as a team with other staff for continuity and efficient, quality care
7. Requires adherence to all policies, standards and procedures included in the Administration,
Clinical and HR Manuals and agency Code of Conduct.
- HEARING: Adequate to perform job duties in person and over the telephone. Ability to use stethoscope and respond to verbal questions.
- SPEAKING: Must be able to communicate clearly to patients in person and over the telephone.
- VISION: visual acuity adequate to perform job duties, including visual examination of patient and reading information from printed sources and computer screens.
OTHER: Requires frequent lifting and carrying items weighing up to 30 pounds unassisted, including assisting patients when required. Adequate physical ability including sufficient manual dexterity to perform the requisite health care services, including injections. Requires frequent bending, reaching, repetitive hand movements, standing, walking, squatting and sitting, with some heavy lifting, pushing and pulling exerted regularly throughout a regular work shift. There is potential for exposure to communicable diseases and/or blood borne pathogens.
Location: Lakewood, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=32022&clientkey=FACC804A7E0F01D06CA3A50EF7B82CFF&source=Indeed
Base Pay: Depends on Experience
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903