Employer: Multnomah County
This work matters...
Are you a Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (HVAC) technician or plumber with experience in the operation and troubleshooting of HVAC, plumbing and other building mechanical systems? Do you have the ability to work both independently as well as part of a team? Do you want a position where you get to use your technical expertise? If so, we may have an opportunity for you.
Multnomah County's Facilities and Property Management Division is seeking an experienced Mechanical Technician to join our team. In this role, you will use your knowledge of commercial HVAC systems or Commercial Plumbing systems and equipment to perform preventative maintenance and troubleshoot mechanical problems. Including:
- Operate, maintain, repair, replace and adjust (HVAC) equipment.
- Utilize Building Automation System (BAS) systems and related computer programs to remotely troubleshoot HVAC systems.
- Repair/replace plumbing equipment, systems, fixtures and clear minor drains.
- Repair/replace fire suppression systems and back-flows.
- Provide quality customer service to ensure minimal disruption of a client’s work environment.
- This position offers a work-life balance environment, ability to take work vehicles home, additional pay incentives for skills such as but not limited to Backflow Testing, Boiler Certification, Limited Maintenance Electrician License.
A successful candidate will also have the following skills and competencies:
- You identify issues and educate yourself and others regarding path to problem resolution.
- You create mutually beneficial relationships with coworkers, customers, community members, and/or clients based on understanding and respect.
- You cultivate work environments that value truth-telling, courage and vulnerability, space to think and reflect, community-mindedness, shared power, hope, and openness to difficult conversations.
- You strive to fulfill commitments and responsibilities and hold yourself accountable for successful outcomes.
- You provide timely information necessary for others to make informed decisions and to avoid surprises.
- You have a "Think Yes" attitude, seek information and feedback to better understand customer needs, focus on collaboration, and offer timely, appropriate responses to requests.
Multnomah County Facilities and Property Management Division (F&PM) manages over 3.5 million square feet of owned and leased space for County Programs in approximately 140 buildings. The division works with policy makers and departments to align business goals with long-term space requirements while providing a sustainable capital asset preservation program. The division's responsibilities include facilities strategic planning and oversight; planning, design, and construction management for capital improvements; office and building renovations and modifications which include systems furniture and program infrastructure improvements, facilities maintenance and repair; facilities operations; and customer service and support. The Facilities mission is to provide access to safe, functional and adaptable facilities in a financially responsible, socially equitable and environmentally sustainable manner.
We will consider any combination of relevant work experience, volunteering, education, and transferable skills as qualifying unless an item or section is labeled required. Please be clear and specific about how your background is relevant.
Minimum Qualifications/Transferable Skills:
- Completion of a State of Oregon qualified apprenticeship program in a related field OR three (3) years of education and training in the areas of heating, air conditioning, refrigeration, environmental controls, welding, hydronic piping, or plumbing
- Three (3) years of experience in the installation, maintenance, and repair of HVAC and refrigeration equipment or plumbing
OR a combination of related training and experience which equals three (3) years
- Possession a valid state driver’s license
- Ability to pass a criminal records check
- Universal EPA Certificate for HVAC and refrigeration work
Preferred Qualifications/Transferable Skills*:
- You do not need to have the following preferred qualifications/transferable skills to qualify; however keep in mind we may consider some or all of the following when identifying the most qualified candidates. Please clearly explain on your application how you meet as many of the following preferred qualifications/transferable skills as you are able.
- Oregon Limited Energy Technician, Class B license (LEB) or higher
- Journeyman Plumber license
- Oregon Brazing Certificate
- Boiler Certification
- Performs skilled plumbing work in the repair, maintenance, alteration and construction of facilities; installs, repairs, services and maintains plumbing systems and equipment.
- COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: To protect the health of the community and employees, Multnomah County requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious exception by October 18, 2021 as a qualification of employment.
- The rule applies to all employees, as allowable by law. Candidates who receive an offer of County employment must provide proof of vaccination upon hire or submit an exception request prior to their start date.
- Screening and Evaluation
The Application Packet:
- A completed online application
- An uploaded resume covering relevant experience and education. Please be sure your resume includes the following for each employer: name of employer, location, dates of employment, your title, and a brief summary of your responsibilities.
- A Cover Letter describing the following...Your experience with commercial chillers, boilers and cooling tower along with your knowledge of Building Automation Systems. Explain your experience and standards in performing thorough preventive maintenance. In addition please include any experience related to plumbing maintenance that you have.
Note: Your application and/or resume should demonstrate your work experience/skills and how it is related to those shown in the Overview and To Qualify sections of the job announcement. Please be thorough, as these materials may be scored and determine your eligibility for an interview.
The Selection Process:
- For details about how we typically screen applications, review our overview of the selection process page. We expect to evaluate candidates for this recruitment as follows:
Initial review of minimum qualifications:
- We may do an additional preferred review to identify those highest qualified.
Consideration of top candidates:
- We will consider qualified candidates in order of rank and score from the list of eligible candidates. This may include panel interview(s) and a hiring interview to determine the best candidates for a position.
Background check and reference checks:
- All finalists must pass a thorough criminal records check and reference check.
This recruitment may be used to fill full-time, part-time, temporary, limited duration and on-call positions.
Please note that due to 24/7/365 service requirements, positions may be assigned occasional work outside of normal work schedule, including nights, weekends and holidays.
Type of Position: This hourly union-represented position is eligible for overtime.
Location: 401 N Dixon St Portland, OR 97227
Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:30AM to 5:00PM
Diversity and Inclusion:
- At Multnomah County, we don't just accept difference; we value it and support it to create a culture of dignity and respect for our employees.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran or protected veteran status, genetic information and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available for your reference. Multnomah County is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. We request priority protected veteran referrals.
Under Oregon Law, qualifying veterans may apply for veterans’ preference. Review our veterans’ preference page for details about eligibility and how to apply.
Accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act: We gladly provide reasonable accommodation to anyone whose specific disability prevents them from completing an application or participating in this recruitment process. Please contact the recruiter below in advance to request assistance. Individuals with hearing or speech impairments may contact the recruiter through the Telecommunications Relay Service by dialing 711.
Contact Person: Tomas Tellez
Location: Portland, OR
Application Method: Email
Base Pay: $35.01 HR
2011 W. Washington Ave
Yakima, WA 98903