Employer: Yakima County
220-102 Financial Specialist - YSO:
Working Title Financial Specialist Location US-WA-Yakima Type Regular Full Time Budgeted FLSA Status Non-Exempt Department Sheriff's Office Hours/Week 40 Required Testing/Exercises typing test 35 wpm (online)*Windows and Word exercise to be taken after closing date / prior to interview. Union Teamsters-YSO Clerical Open Date 4/17/2020 Close Date 5/8/2020 Compensation $16.74 per hour
The Yakima County Civil Service Commission is now accepting applications to form a register of eligible candidates for the position of Financial Specialist with the Yakima County Sheriff's Office. This position is responsible for performing a variety of accounting and technical duties including payroll and A/P duties; Compiles statistical graphs and analysis of data for Sheriff and/or Senior Accountant; Maintains, oversees & monitors grants, reports, contracts, reimbursement requests as required. Develops meaningful reports for management's use in fiscal decision making; monitors and analyzes revenues and expenditures as well as contract compliance.
How to Apply for this position:
#1 Complete the on-line application at: http://www.yakimacounty.us
#2 Mail the required documentation. See checklist below
If you do not want to mail the required documentation, you may stop by our office and submit the documentation. Applications will not be reviewed without ALL required documentation.
#3 Complete the online typing test with a minimum of 35 wpm. You will be notified with a link for the typing test.
There is also a Windows, Word proficiency exam which will be taken after the closing date, prior to an interview.
Required - Must be submitted to Yakima County Human Resources, 128 N 2nd Street, Room B-27, Yakima, WA 98901 PRIOR to the closing date to be eligible:
Proof of Citizenship:
Copy of Birth Certificate, Naturalization papers, etc.
Proof of a High School education:
Copy of H.S./GED, or college degree/transcripts
Civil Service Rules Apply
- Accesses, collects, compiles, reviews, audits and enters statistical, technical or confidential information into a computer; makes recommendations based on information obtained; and prepares related reports and fact sheets such as: Payroll Summaries, monthly encumbering, budget and 3/10ths reports. Calculates payroll for over 100 employees in different bargaining units each with differing vacation, accrual, holiday and comp time payouts & comp time earned.
- Calculate all data required for billing of Grants according to the State Contract. Performing the Account Payables and Receivables for each Grant.
- Process complex forms that require decisions based on experience.
- Perform Accounts Payables.
- Create and maintain a vehicle database for over 100 vehicles as to officer, assignment, mileage,a plates, VIN number, maintenance and inspections
- Create purchase requisitions/purchase orders; other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) and three years accounting/bookkeeping experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience which provides knowledge, skills and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
Required at time of application:
Keyboarding Exam with a minimum of 35 net wpm to be taken online. Applicants meeting this requirement will also be required to take a proficiency exam demonstrating knowledge of Microsoft Windows and Word.
Experience using word processing and spreadsheet software products, accounts payable/billing experience.
Experience with BARS accounting, contract interpretation and application of laws and regulations governing the contract.
Provide evidence of U.S. citizenship (e.g. birth certificate); provide evidence of high school diploma or GED certificate; be at least 18 years of age; be determined suitable for the position based on the results of a background investigation, polygraph examination, and psychological examination prior to being hired. Applications will be evaluated on the basis of past experience and training. Requires a very good understanding of Excel and spreadsheets, accounts payable/receivable and billing experience.
This is a Yakima County Teamster Contract Bargaining Unit position.
Environmental Demands: Work in locked down facility(s). May be exposed to hostile / angry individuals; work outside of standard business hours and locations. Physical Demands: bending, carrying, handling, lifting, pulling, pushing, reaching, sitting, standing, walking, fingering, balancing, climbing, crawling, crouching, kneeling, reclining, hearing, smelling, talking, visual acuity. Intellectual demands: ability to multitask, confidentiality, ability to work under pressure, ability to articulate and communicate information in conversations, ability to follow written and verbal instruction. Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for Sedentary Work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for Light Work
- Practices and principles of project management;
- Financial theories and principle including audit functions;
- Spillman Computer System (or similar criminal justice systems);
- Microsoft Office Computer Software;
- Principles of law enforcement policy and procedure;
- Laws and regulations governing financial grant accounting functions;
- Cost analyses accounting principles;
- Budgeting theories and principles;
- Cash Management;
- Government and fund accounting theories and principles;
- Rules of grammar, spelling and punctuation used in professional correspondence and reports;
- Personal computer and software programs;
- Ability to apply contract management principles and practices;
- Time management principles; and
- Customer service techniques
Skills and Abilities:
- Coordinating work activities and multi-tasking;
- Working under pressure and meeting deadline;
- Applying Generally-Accepted Accounting Procedures;
- Developing and writing reports;
- Interpreting contracts, policies, procedures, laws and regulation;
- Preparing technical reports and paying attention to detail and accuracy;
- Preparing complex financial reports and statements;
- Using computers and financial software systems;
- Using office equipment such as phones, copies, calculators, fax machines, printers;
- Establishing and maintaining effective interpersonal relationships with County and other officials, at all organizational levels and with the public; and Communication, both oral and written sufficient to exchange or convey information and to give or receive work direction
“AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER”
Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans and the Disabled are encouraged to apply.
Yakima County ensures equal employment opportunities regardless of a person’s age, color, creed, sensory, mental or physical disability, genetic information, marital status, national origin, political belief, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and military status, or any other protected status under federal or state statute.
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish the information.
Disabled applicants may request accommodation to participate in the job application and/or selection process for employment. Please contact Human Resources for further information.
Yakima County is a qualified Public Service entity for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program. For more information, go to http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/charts/public-service or contact your federal loan servicer.
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Yakima County will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States.
Yakinma County is an E-Verify Employer
Location: Yakima, WA
Application Method: Online and follow application steps closely: https://careers-yakima.icims.com/jobs/2390/financial-specialist/job
Base Pay: $16.74 HR