Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure that people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is seeking to fill a Bridge Maintenance Specialist position in Medina, WA. This position will apply journey level skills to perform maintenance, repair, and inspection of steel, wood, and concrete bridge structures within the Northwest Region. This team member will safely utilize heavy equipment to ensure the safety of our bridges and the motoring public. By taking on this role, you are serving a key and vital function to the State of Washington's Transportation system.
What to Expect:
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Bridge Maintenance Specialist 2 will:
- Apply journey-level knowledge and skills with adherence to safety precautions, policies, and directives while performing job functions in the maintenance, repair, and inspection of concrete, steel, and timber bridge structures.
- General maintenance and repair of bridges and structures to include: decks, expansion joints, abutments, bridge rail, place rebar, pour/finish concrete, walkways, jersey rail, curbs, concrete slabs, reinforced footings/walls, bents, and bracing.
- Dewater pontoon interiors with the use of pumps, dehumidifiers, and various other equipment
- Read, interpret, and follow specific permit agreements or guidance related to bridge work activities.
- Participate in safety meetings and programs at every level. Attend safety meetings and job related training as needed.
- Safely operate motorized, hand, and power tools and equipment to perform maintenance and repairs.
Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid Driver's License
- Two (2) years of experience in heavy construction carpentry, concrete, steel, electrical, millwright, mechanic or closely related field.
- Ability to read, interpret, and follow operational manuals, blueprints, and written correspondence.
- Ability to lift and transport in excess of 50lbs with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to work next to highway traffic in a variety of weather conditions, including heat, cold, and inclement weather, negotiating steep, rough, and uneven terrain, working in confined spaces at heights above 100 ft. over land or water performing maintenance and repairs.
- Ability to be work ready on a standby on-call status to work any shift, including nights, weekends, and holidays, and be subject to overtime and emergency callouts as needed.
- Current Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A
- Four (4) years of Journey Level experience in heavy construction carpentry, concrete, steel, electrical, millwright, mechanic, or closely related field.
- Experience operating a commercial work boat
- The listed salary includes the Legislative approved King County Premium and Assignment Pay.
- This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals' lifestyle. As such, there are a number of flexible schedule options available to staff, including occasional telework for eligible positions.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options, and free dental coverage! Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
- Tuition Assistance – Our employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the "Work Experience" portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible. In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further details your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact information to be included in the "References" section of the online application for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Eric Saniatan, at SaniatE@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 20DOT-NWR-11009 in the subject line.
Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
Location: Seattle, WA
Application Method: Online: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/washington/job_bulletin.cfm?jobID=2745575&sharedWindow=0
Base Pay: $60,416 - $70,062 YR