Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT has an exciting opportunity for an experienced equipment mechanic in Tumwater. In this position, you will utilize your skills to maintain a variety of motor vehicles and highway maintenance equipment. As the Equipment Technician 2, the primary duties are to perform preventative maintenance, inspection, repair, and other services on all inventoried equipment including passenger vehicles, dump trucks, heavy equipment, and variety of highway maintenance equipment. This position is critical in ensuring that equipment is ready to roll to keep our highways free of hazards and open to the traveling public year-round. If you are a reliable, safety-minded mechanic, then we have an exciting opportunity for you!
What to Expect:
This position will be responsible for participating in planning actions and completing training requirements to fulfill the assigned responsibilities in the event of the mobilization of the WSDOT Olympic Region Emergency Operations Center (EOG). In an event, this position will be responsible to maintain, sustain, or repair equipment to keep people and services moving.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Equipment Mechanic will:
- Detect and repair safety items on equipment to reduce field down time and extend service for life of equipment used by WSDOT.
- Operate a computer to maintain shop records.
- Create work orders, input labor and charge out parts in the Fleet Equipment Management System.
- Analyze and diagnose electrical and mechanical problems for vehicles and equipment.
- Operate all types of equipment such as back hoe's, excavator, dump trucks, and mowers.
- Repair and maintain fuel sites.
- Keep shop safe, clean, and orderly.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- High school graduation or possession of a GED certificate.
- Three (3) years' experience performing preventative maintenance and repairs assisting a journey-level mechanic. (Successful completion of vocational technical training in heavy equipment may substitute year for year)
- The ability to obtain and maintain a valid Washington State Commercial Driver's (CDL), Class A without air brakes restriction, with N endorsement within 6 months of hire.
- Ability to move and transport up to 50 pounds.
- Must possess a basic set of mechanic hand tools.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- A valid Washington State Commercial Driver's License (CDL), Class A without air brakes restriction, with N endorsement.
- Experience using Fleet Equipment Management System (FEMS) and Microsoft Office Suite programs including Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Experience reading and understanding equipment manuals, blueprints, and technical drawings.
- An Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certification in automotive or light/heavy equipment repair.
- Two years of experience diagnosing WSDOT style fleet equipment.
- Experience operating shop tools such as welders, drill presses, grinders, presses, hoists, air tools, and jacks.
- This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
- Work-Life Balance – We offer flexible work schedules that allow you time for your life outside of this excellent opportunity.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the "Work Experience" portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application: Please confirm that the hiring manager wishes to collect these items at the application stage before including these instructions on the posting:
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the "References" section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Robyn Lovely at LovelyR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 20DOT-OR-32535 in the subject line.
Location: Tumwater, WA
Application Method: Online: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/washington/job_bulletin.cfm?jobID=2752103&sharedWindow=0
Base Pay: $3,871 - $4,492 MO