Employer: Chelan PUD
A RESUME and COVER LETTER are required. To expedite the application process, combine your cover letter and resume into one WORD or PDF document before applying (we do not accept .wps documents) and upload electronically when requested in the online application process.
Your cover letter must address the following questions (please format your cover letter so that the questions are included with your responses):
1. Why do you want to work at Chelan County PUD?
2. Why do you want to be a Wireman Apprentice Trainee?
3. Describe your specific experience of at least 6 months (paid or not) demonstrating physically demanding work in an industry requiring mechanical aptitude. (Examples may include building or construction trades such as carpentry, plumbing, residential or commercial/industrial wiring; machinist; industrial processing; equipment troubleshooting or repair; automotive or diesel troubleshooting or repair; HVAC troubleshooting or repair; applicable military experience; etc.)
You will not be considered if you do not submit a resume, cover letter and answer the above questions.
In addition to the Contract Rate of $28.91, Chelan PUD employees also enjoy outstanding benefits which include the option of a zero cost medical plan (medical, dental and vision for all eligible dependents), short and long-term disability, Washington State Public Employee's Retirement System, Deferred Compensation (with company matching funds up to 5% after probationary period), 11 holidays and initial personal leave accrual at 21 days per year.
Learn about the education and preparation needed to become an apprentice. This position evaluates compatibility, desire, and potential learning abilities to be successful in the wireman craft at the District. Provide labor support in accordance with District safety guidelines and policies and procedures while demonstrating the skills and abilities to become a Generation Wireman Apprentice. Individuals in this position may be required to work schedules other than dayshift as allowed through the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
JOB FUNCTIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function of the job satisfactorily. Essential functions (EF) are those activities that, if not performed, would significantly and fundamentally alter the position.
# % of Time Job Functions
1. EF 50% Provide labor support for projects within the Generation work force and demonstrate aptitude and ability to become a Generation Wireman Apprentice.
2. EF 30% Perform construction and maintenance tasks under the supervision of a Journeyman/ Foreman Wireman or Generation Manager/Superintendent.
3. EF 20% Operate tools and equipment under the supervision of a Journeyman/Foreman Wireman or Generation Manager/Superintendent.
4. EF Ongoing Maintain regular and predictable attendance. Perform related duties and responsibilities as required. Comply with District policies. Complete all required training. Maintain a working knowledge and comply with District safety procedures and specific safety requirements of this position, and those in accordance with applicable provisions of the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) and Washington Administrative Code (WAC).
5. EF Ongoing Drive a motorized vehicle while conducting business on behalf of the District.
QUALIFICATIONS: The qualifications listed below are representative of those required, but reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
No post-secondary education required. Two years college education, two years trade school with technical emphasis, or comparable work history is desired.
Typically requires six (6) months work history demonstrating mechanical aptitude and ability to perform physically demanding work.
Specific KSA's: A fully skilled incumbent will have the following specific knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Requires ability and desire to train through the apprenticeship program to become a Journey-level Generation Wireman.
• Must be able to successfully complete the Generation Wireman Apprentice physical test.
• Requires ability to work with hand tools and on or around man lift equipment.
• Candidates with the ability to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License type A with current medical card, air brake restriction removed and tanker endorsement are preferred.
• Must possess or obtain within six months from hire date, First Aid and CPR certifications.
Must be proficient in reading, writing and speaking English.
Computers & Equipment: A fully skilled incumbent will have the ability to utilize the following software, hardware, or equipment:
To perform this job successfully, an individual is required to have knowledge of; Microsoft Outlook; Microsoft Word; and.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, or twist torso; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to pull, push, or exert force. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and seldom lift up to 75 pounds. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds above shoulder height unassisted, occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds above shoulder height; and seldom lift and or move up to 75 pounds above shoulder height, with or without mechanical devices. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to risk of electrical shock. The employee is frequently exposed to work near moving mechanical parts; and in confined spaces; fumes or airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work in high, precarious places; toxic or caustic chemicals; outdoor weather conditions; and extreme heat (non-weather). The noise level is usually loud.
A valid driver's license is required for this position (verified upon hire). A valid Washington State driver's license is required within 30 days of employment.
Pursuant to the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) standards, Chelan County Public Utility District #1 conducts background screening of personnel who have access to the District's critical physical and/or cyber assets.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions for this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility. This should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.
Chelan PUD is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and values diversity at all levels of the organization. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or other protected classifications as defined by law.
EO M/F/Disability/Vet Employer
EEO Law Poster (English or Spanish)
EEO Law Poster Supplement (English)
Chelan PUD will not be offering any work visa sponsorship for this role.
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-I.35(c)
Safety-sensitive positions are subject to pre-employment drug screening. An essential function of this job involves duties which categorize this position as safety-sensitive.
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Application Method: https://www.governmentjobs.com/jobs/25590-1/wireman-apprentice-trainee-11535?keyword=&location=chelan%2C+wa&pagetype=searchPage
Base Pay: $28.91/hr