Employer: City of Portland
The Portland Water Bureau provides drinking water for more than 900,000 Portland-area residential, commercial and wholesale customers.
We've delivered drinking water from the forest to customers' faucets since 1895. The successful candidate for this position will become part of a highly capable, diverse workforce of more than 500 full-time equivalent employees. The Portland Water Bureau offers meaningful work, career and professional development opportunities, an environment that recognizes and balances personal and work needs and provides competitive pay and benefits.
• Full medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family with flexible spending account options
• Generous vacation package, including 10 paid annual holidays
• Continued education and professional development opportunities
• Wellness programs
• Employee Assistance Program
• Outstanding PERS retirement program, including a deferred compensation program
• Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
The Water Treatment Operator II position is in the Operations Group of the Portland Water Bureau. The Operations Group is responsible for the operation and maintenance of major water system facilities and infrastructure including treatment and supply facilities associated with the Bull Run Watershed. Operations also manages water quality and regulatory compliance with state and federal drinking water regulations.
The Water Treatment Operator II is responsible for operating and maintaining the City's potable water treatment, disinfection, and corrosion control facilities and systems located at the Bull Run Headworks and Lusted Hill sites in the Bull Run Watershed, a pristine unfiltered surface water supply. These responsibilities must be carried out in compliance with federal, state and local requirements. In addition, the Water Treatment Operator II is responsible for operating and maintaining the infrastructure to meet obligations under the Bull Run Water Supply Habitat Conservation Plan and for completing inspections and collecting samples to meet the requirements of the Bull Run Treatment Variance from filtration.
Water Treatment Operator IIs perform a combination of technical and mechanical duties in the ongoing operation and maintenance of the water treatment system. These duties include collecting and analyzing water samples for physical and chemical properties, calculating chemical dosages and feed rates, monitoring and controlling the water treatment system through electronic and computerized systems and adjusting water production to meet water system demands. Water Treatment Operator IIs respond to emergency alarms, isolate problem areas, and take immediate corrective action to return systems to normal. They test emergency equipment to ensure constant emergency preparedness and conduct preventive and general maintenance on a variety of small and large water treatment equipment and instrumentation.
Water Treatment Operator IIs coordinate work with operators of the Portland Hydropower Project's power production and corresponding reservoir operations. They work as part of a larger team with other Water Bureau groups that include water operations engineers, instrument technicians, electricians, water control center personnel, security officers, and other staff. Water Treatment Operator IIs work shifts to provide 24/7/365 staffing and can be called upon for overtime and/or standby work.
This classification is represented by the District Council of Trade Unions (DCTU). To view this labor agreement, please go to https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bhr/27840 and click on the appropriate link. External candidates start at entry salary rate.
Why join the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position. Applicants must specifically address and demonstrate how their education, training and/or experience, meets each of the following minimum qualifications. (Please see "Application Instructions" below.)
1. Knowledge and experience applying the federal, state, and local drinking water regulations pertaining to drinking water treatment and drinking water treatment facilities.
2. Knowledge and experience collecting drinking water samples and conducting accurate drinking water sampling analysis using analog and digital equipment.
3. Knowledge and experience operating and maintaining drinking water disinfection and treatment equipment associated with chlorination, ammoniation, and pH adjustment.
4. Knowledge and experience troubleshooting drinking water treatment operational problems and acting quickly and decisively in bringing these systems back to a normal state.
5. Ability and experience establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those encountered in the course of the work, and communicating effectively, both verbally and in writing.
6. Ability and experience analyzing data, drawing accurate conclusions, recording findings, and making appropriate operational changes.
7. Ability and experience using computer software applications related to the work, including modern, state-of-the-art supervisory control and data acquisition, spreadsheet, word processing, laboratory information management, and maintenance management systems.
Applicants must also possess:
• A Water Treatment Certificate of Competency, Level 2, issued by the Oregon Health Authority Drinking Water Program at the time of appointment.
• A valid state's driver's license with an acceptable driving record at the time of appointment.
• Ability to pass a criminal background check prior to appointment.
• Ability to pass a routine respiratory protection physical assessment and a physical capacity test by the time of appointment, and the ability to pass routine respiratory protection physical assessments annually.
• Ability to acquire a 24-Hour Hazardous Materials Operations certificate (HAZWOPER) within 6 months of appointment, (training provided by employer).
• Ability to acquire Confined Space Entry Certification within 6 months of appointment, (training provided by employer).
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in your resume and responses to the supplemental questions weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
02/10/20 - 03/06/20
• Applications Reviewed:
week of 03/09/20
• Eligible List:
week of 03/16/20
• Selection Phase Begins:
Tentatively the week of 03/30/20
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change
Applicants must submit a professional resume and responses to the supplemental questions online, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions: Your résumé and responses to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
• Your responses to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
• Your resume should support the details described in your responses to the supplemental questions.
• If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your responses to the supplemental questions and resume any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than 11:59 pm, on the closing date of this recruitment. All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process. Do not attach materials not requested. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
ADA Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Did you know? The City of Portland offers How to Apply Classes that are free and review best practices for applying to the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates: www.bit.ly/howtoapplyclass
Location: Portland, OR
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/portlandor/jobs/2705416/water-treatment-operator-ii
Base Pay: $63,232.00 - $81,702.40 Annually