Employer: Union Gap School District
Grounds & General Maintenance
Apply online at www.uniongapschool.org
GROUNDS & GENERAL MAINTENANCE is established for the purpose/s of maintaining grounds and facilities for staff, students, and the public in safe operating condition; performing general maintenance to resolve immediate operational and/or safety concerns and providing for preventative maintenance. This job is distinguished from similar jobs by the following characteristics: The functions of the position apply primarily to grounds keeping and the general maintenance of District equipment and facilities. However, this position also provides backup and general assistance as needed to bus drivers and custodial team.
Reports to: Director of Operations
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Minimum of two (2) years job related experience required
• Specialized training in general maintenance preferred
• HVAC maintenance and controls experience preferred
• Previous experience in irrigation and grounds work preferred
• Current public pesticide applicators license preferred or ability to obtain within 60 days of hiring.
• Possess a valid class “B” WA state driver’s license w/ passenger, school bus, and air brake endorsements preferred or ability to obtain within 90 days of hiring
• Proven ability to work independently
• Physical ability to perform required duties
• Record of dependability, flexibility and regular attendance.
• Posesss strong work ethic
• Ability to respond to emergency situations for the purpose of resolving immediate safety concerns.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statement of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to this class.
• Maintains landscaping (e.g. lawns, shrubbery, planted areas, irrigation, fences, concrete areas, parking lots, playgrounds, etc.) for the purpose of preserving grounds in a healthy, attractive, and safe condition.
• Repairs and installs system component parts, classroom and office equipment and facility components (e.g. lighting, valves, pumps, switches, piping, fences, sprinklers, sinks, toilets, wood construction, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining facilities in a safe, comfortable and operating condition.
• Cleans grounds and related areas (e.g. gutters, drains, filters/screens, snow removal, etc.) for the purpose of preventing flooding and removing hazards.
• Inspects grounds and equipment (e.g. playground equipment, fences, irrigation systems, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring safety, identifying necessary repairs and providing an ongoing program of preventive maintenance.
• Applies pesticides and/or chemicals for the purpose of ensuring that spraying is done in compliance with federal, State and District requirements.
• Prepares grounds and athletic fields (e.g. assemblies, measuring & painting lines, etc.) for the purpose of providing adequate, attractive and safe areas within the district facilities.
• Identifies and procures supplies and materials necessary for the purpose of maintaining inventory and ensuring availability of required items.
• Recommends supplies and equipment for purchase for the purpose of maintaining the inventory of district owned hand tools, equipment, hardware, materials and supplies.
• Transports various items (e.g. tools, equipment, supplies, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the availability of materials required at job site.
• Assists other custodial personnel as may be required for the purpose of ensuring an effective and efficient work environment.
• Assists with custodial cleaning in buildings during scheduled breaks, after sporting events, or as a backup as necessary.
• Available as a backup Bus Driver as needed to perform daily routes, field trips, or other transportation needs.
• Other duties as assigned.
Expectations for Continued Employment:
• Employment is contingent upon satisfactory outcome of a Washington State Patrol and Federal Bureau Investigation fingerprint screening examination and background check.
• Maintain consistent presence at assigned worksite and regular work hours.
• Comply with all District policies and operational procedures.
• Maintain punctuality and regular attendance.
• Complete SafeSchool’s online training in accordance with the Union Gap School District policy
• Obtain a CPR and First Aid Card
• Pass DOT physical exam every 2 years
• Maintain valid licenses & certifications referenced above
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting of up to 100lbs, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; frequent climbing and balancing; frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally, the job requires 15% sitting, 45% walking, and 40% standing. The job is performed under some temperature extremes and under conditions both hot and cold with exposure to risk of injury and/or illness.
Contact Person: Stefanie Jesperson
Phone: (509) 248-3966 x 401
Location: Union Gap School District
Application Method: Application
Base Pay: $22.56 - $25.68