Employer: Yakima Herald Republic
IT SUPPORT SUPERVISOR
Position reports to: Operations Director
Department: Information Technology
The purpose of the IT Support Supervisor position is to provide effective, responsive IT support to the Yakima Herald-Republic, a Seattle Times Company affiliate. The position is responsible for managing help desk calls, documenting IT functions for the department, and oversight of subordinate staff. The Support Supervisor is also responsible for delivering software /IT solutions to the business side of the organization, as well as training and troubleshooting for the varied workgroups and users.
• Oversee long-term infrastructure planning.
• Monitor all systems for potential problems and works proactively to find solutions.
• Provide on-site end user support in person or via phone and remote tools.
• Provide clients with technical training and general computing and application guidance and education
• Program, test, debug, and maintain applications in client-server or Web-based environments and addresses systems performance issues and crashes.
• Research and install multi-vendor software running a wide array of devices
• Must be familiar with spreadsheets, databases, Management Information Systems (MIS) and a variety of software systems, hardware, networking and software applications.
• Maintain computing infrastructure monitoring for events and outages, installing security updates, and executing maintenance operations
• Maintain solid and continuing relationships with Seattle Times Company and affiliate properties’ IT staff, and assist as needed with problem resolution, troubleshooting, and change management
• Troubleshoot and resolves hardware, software, and performance issues: desk top, server, network on devices on multiple LANs.
• Set up workstations and laptops for new staff: configured systems, ensured network connectivity, and installed and tested hardware and software.
• Provide applications support, assistance, maintenance, and updating documentation as required.
• Create network user accounts, user environments, directory structures, rights and security for accounts, and other applications requiring login credentials.
• Manage workstation configurations by standardizing base image and update packages.
• Conduct preventive maintenance and inventory on all hardware. Ensure the proper and secure disposition of obsolete equipment.
• Responsible for on-call on a weekly rotation basis, as well as immediate assistance and intervention as needed
• Customer Service Oriented: Strong customer focus-either face-to-face or over the phone, and strong interaction with clients and their software applications.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Ability to organize and problem solve.
• Ability to learn and adapt to new technologies and software.
• Strong understanding of workstation/server hardware architecture.
• Strong interpersonal skills in order to work with both technical and nontechnical personnel at various levels in the organization.
• Ability to identify and recommend training opportunities to enhance technical and professional skills of staff and end users.
• Ability to prioritize and follow through.
• Ability to effectively organize and manage a challenging workload, including prioritization and multitasking.
• Ability to demonstrate excellent communication skills: verbal and written.
• Ability to work effectively with staff members.
• Proficient in the use and trouble shooting of MS Office and Windows OS and AD. (Microsoft office O365, windows 7, Outlook 2013 and 2016, Windows server 2008 and Microsoft Active Directory.)
• Strong skills in Desktop support windows OS troubleshooting skills on areas such as application support, networking, virus removal, etc.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s or technical degree required.
• 2+ years experience required.
• Valid Washington State Driver’s License and own reliable transportation required.
• Experience with networking, firewall, SharePoint, Exchange and SQL is a plus.
• Experience with MS Terminal Services, Citrix or similar remote desktop platform.
• Experience with VPN client deployment and troubleshooting.
This position may require lifting and carrying 20-30 pounds and carrying more than 50 feet. Bending, twisting, to reach tight areas where connections maybe located.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an inclusive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
Updated: Jan. 3, 2020
Phone: (509) 577-7757
Location: Yakima, WA
Base Pay: DOQ