Employer: Washington Department of Transportation
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) has an exciting opportunity for an experienced mechanic who wants to utilize their skills to work on a variety of motor vehicles and highway maintenance equipment in our Spokane shop. We are looking for a mechanic to perform preventative maintenance, inspections, repairs and other services on all inventoried equipment including passenger vehicles, dump trucks, heavy equipment, and a variety of highway maintenance equipment. This position is critical in ensuring that equipment is ready to roll to keep our highways free of hazards and open to the traveling public year-round. If you are a reliable, safety-minded mechanic, then we have an exciting opportunity for you!
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace.
To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
This position will perform the following work:
- Perform preventative maintenance, inspections, and repairs on all WSDOT equipment, both in the shop and in the field.
- Troubleshoot, overhaul, and repair gas and diesel engines, transmissions, electrical & electronic systems, brakes, hydraulic systems, suspensions, steering and fuel systems.
- Detect and repair safety items on equipment to reduce field down time and extend service life of equipment used by WSDOT.
- Safely operate shop equipment such as welders, torches, grinders, digital Volt/Ohm meter, electronic diagnostic tools, drill press, hydraulic press, wheel pullers, hoists, vehicle lifts, cranes, lathes, jacks, air tools, hand tools, various power tools, diagnostic scan tools, emission testers, and other various diagnostic and repair tools and equipment.
- Fabricate, weld, and install additional equipment to vehicles.
- Maneuver in, on, around and under various pieces of equipment for the purpose of inspecting, servicing, diagnostic testing, and repairing in an efficient manner.
- Repair and maintain fuel dispensing sites.
- Operate a computer to maintain shop records.
- Keep shop safe, clean, and orderly.
- Safely operate and transport equipment as needed for repair or testing purposes on site and to/from region shops and repair facilities.
- Abide by all safety policies and procedures.
Required qualifications include:
- At least of three years' experience as a journey-level technician diagnosing, repairing, and maintaining light, medium and heavy duty equipment in an established vehicle repair facility.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- A valid Driver's License and the ability to obtain a Washington State Commercial Driver's (CDL), Class A, within 12 months of hire.
- Computer skills with the ability to operate Microsoft Office Suite and the maintain equipment records.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in the written form.
- Experience reading and understanding equipment manuals, blueprints, and technical drawings.
- Ability to lift and transport up to 50 pounds.
- Experience operating computerized diagnostic testing equipment, welders, drill presses, hoists, air tools, and jacks.
The most desirable candidate will also have:
Graduation from a technical school specializing in Automotive or Heavy equipment repair.
ASE certifications in Automotive or Heavy Truck or equipment.
Four (4) years of work experience as a journeyman auto/heavy equipment technician in a fleet environment.
Commercial Driver's License (CDL), Class A, with endorsement "N."
Welding and fabrication experience, mill and lathe experience.
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please click on the large "apply" button at the top of this announcement. If you have not done so previously, you will need to set up an account profile.
To be considered for this position you will need to:
Answer the supplemental questions.
Attach a cover letter and resume (preferred).
Condition of Employment:
The Department of Transportation is committed to an alcohol and drug free workplace. These positions are subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to: DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Rachel Giese at 360-905-2223 or email to email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-ER-61093.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.
Location: Spokane, WA
Application Method: Online
Base Pay: $51,240 - $59,436 YR