Employer: The City of Yakima
Are you a customer service oriented person who enjoys working outside? The Water Service Specialist works with a team of skilled representatives dedicated to providing a positive customer service experience and supporting the functions of City of Yakima Utility Divisions. If you are looking for a career that allows you to showcase your customer service skills, and work hands on and learn about the utility industry - then come join our team!
The City of Yakima is a premier employer in the Yakima Valley with extensive opportunities for training and growth. The City offers a competitive benefit package including: •Comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage including a FREE healthcare clinic!
•WA State PERS pension plan and employer contribution to a 457 deferred compensation plan
•Generous accruals for vacation and sick leave
Any combination of education or experience equivalent to a high school diploma plus one year of water meter reading or mechanical work experience, which would demonstrate the ability to perform the function of the position. Ability to walk for extended periods of time, bend and lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Knowledge of the City of Yakima and surrounding area and the City of Yakima water system is desirable.
Bilingual/Biliterate English/Spanish proficiency is preferred. Bilingual/biliterate candidates will complete a bilingual/biliterate skills examination conducted under the Charter Civil Service Rules and Regulations and administered by the Civil Service Chief Examiner to determine proficiency.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES:
Must possess and maintain a valid Washington State Driver's License. Obtain and maintain a valid First Aid/CPR Certificate within six months of appointment.
Under limited supervision, records home and business water service meter reads on a hand-held meter reading device to determine water consumption; performs a variety of duties associated with the water service provided to private homes and businesses.
- Records water meter readings on a hand-held meter reading device; checks for leaks in the City's water and irrigation system; checks for abnormally high or low meter readings; notifies customers to check for possible leaks based on high meter readings; determines if shut-off is needed; reports cracked or broken pipes and meter tiles, leaks, broken meters and related equipment; makes written notes of any conditions requiring additional attention or repairs.
- Cleans out meter tiles and trims shrubs and bushes around or covering the meter tile. Changes and cleans water meter registers as needed; replaces missing lids on meters; resets and/or replaces frost boards; changes out dead or broken water meters; check for illegal connection to water service.
- Processes new service orders and turns off delinquent accounts; Answers general utility billing questions from the public.
- Assists in the training of all new field employees and assists new employees with work problems in the field.
- May interpret and explain information to the Spanish speaking public.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Requires regular and reliable attendance.
Major Worker Characteristics:
Knowledge of: City ordinances concerning water usage. Ability to: use hand tools associated with servicing water service/metering equipment; work independently; meet and deal with the general public in a courteous and tactful manner.
Work involves walking, talking, hearing, using hands to handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls and reaching with hands and arms below shoulder height. May work outside in all weather extremes, be exposed to animals, insects, pollen, dust, dirt, water, rough/uneven terrain and other weather conditions. Work includes operation of a vehicle and light equipment, noise, mechanical equipment, moving objects, fumes/odors, gases/vapors and dirt/dust. Frequent walking for excessive periods on uneven/rough terrrain. Frequent bending/stooping/kneeling, twisting, and squatting. Frequently lifting/carrying 10 pounds. Occasionally heavy lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds. Constant use of all senses including feeling/talking/hearing/ seeing/ touching, dexterity, while performing duties and while communicating with co-workers, general public and completing all tasks as assigned. May work alone, with others, or around others. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to maintain long-term and short-term memory. Occasional work at a computer and keyboard, use of maintenance tools, equipment and safety equipment. Will be subject to frequent repetition and occasional hazards. Mental requirements include reading writing, memorization, analyzing, perception/comprehension, judgment, decision making with occasional math skill usage. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
UNUSUAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Constant driving in City traffic; exposure to engine exhaust fumes, gases, animal feces and electrical shock; exposure to varying temperatures and weather conditions, dust, and dirt; extensive bending and stooping and lifting objects up to 50 pounds is required; and subjected to bites by dogs, spiders, and bees. May at times have to deal with irate, upset, or disturbed citizens.
Location: Yakima, WA
Application Method: Online
Base Pay: $20.24 - $24.19 HR