Employer: Central Washington University
The Patient Services Representative deals with confidential information in a professional manner. Organizes and provides patient support services; schedules appointments; manages phone calls; triages patient needs to medical/counseling staff; receives and registers patients; provides point-of-service admission; manages patient records; copies and faxes records. This position supports medical/counseling staff as needed with respect to office processes and the performance of their responsibilities. Performs assigned duties for both the medical and counseling functions of the department.
- Assists with patient/client care support in an outpatient healthcare setting including registering (checking in) and scheduling patient/client appointments using the department scheduling systems.
- Operates office equipment such as copier, fax, multi-line phone, computers, printers, scanner, etc.;
- Triages patient/client needs and refers to appropriate medical/counseling staff;
- Answers patient/client questions regarding billing, delays or long waits for services, and scheduling issues;
- Answers phones, transfers calls to appropriate personnel, responds to inquiries, and receives messages;
- Assists patients/clients to complete forms, answers questions and directs them to appropriate staff as needed;
- Organizes and maintains patient/client care records as requested. Scans patient/client care paperwork as collected; copies and faxes records as requested;
- Explains HIPAA/FERPA guidelines to patients/clients;
- Assesses patient/client requests and assists patients/clients by directing them to the appropriate staff member (medical practitioner, nurse, or counselor) by collecting pertinent information;
- Screens phone calls and walk-in patients for urgency using independent judgment and makes appropriate referrals;
- Completes nurse consultation requests or other pertinent forms as appropriate and routes them to staff to ensure follow-up;
- Responds with appropriate actions to situations and communicates to all parties the established policies and procedures;
- Supports department staff (e.g., distributing patient surveys upon request, running scheduling system inquiries on patients/clients, etc.).
- Other duties as assigned.
General office experience or customer/patient experience in a healthcare setting.
Experience and/or training demonstrating the ability to provide customer service including the responsibility to listen to customers, identify issues, and to provide the appropriate referrals.
Experience or training that demonstrates the ability to use computer and Microsoft Office Suite, including an electronic scheduling system, copier, fax, and multi-line phone and ability to multitask in various situations.
Ability to effectively handle stressful situations, make good decisions, and work calmly to help others.
Excellent communication and problem solving skills.
Ability to function as part of a multidisciplinary team.
Experience in healthcare office operations.
Experience creating brochures, flyers, charts, graphs, using Excel, Publisher, etc.
Credentialing and/or insurance billing/coding experience/education.
Knowledge of current procedural terminology, international classification of diseases and healthcare, and common procedure coding.
Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create an environment that supports and embraces diversity.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary: $1,661/month with periodic increases up to $2,145/month (based on 0.625 FTE)
Schedule/Appointment: Monday - Friday, 12:00pm-5:00pm / 25 hours per week / 8 month cyclic appointment / PSE Bargaining Unit 3
Working Conditions: Work is performed in an indoor office setting with frequent in-person interactions. It is essential to be able to remain at a desk/computer work station for prolonged periods of time, perform extensive data entry and other computer-related tasks and create/maintain filing systems for departmental records. Some evening or weekend work and/or occasional travel may be required. Responds to medical or counseling crisis and emergency situations and reacts accordingly. Communication, verbally and written, is essential to ensure coordination and cooperation among all staff with regards to office operations. Some stooping, kneeling, bending, crouching, lifting, walking, carrying or moving of objects and other movements may be required.
Some alternate workweeks with routine rotation may include early morning hours required.
Benefits: CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance, along with vacation and sick leave plans depending on employment classification. For additional information please visit: http://www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits-0
An employee of CWU may be eligible for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program if the employee has student loans. To learn more, visit: https://ofm.wa.gov/state-human-resources/public-service-loan-forgiveness-program.
Location: Ellensburg, Wa
Application Method: Online
Base Pay: $1,661/month with periodic increases up to $2,145/month (based on 0.625 FTE)