Employer: DSHS King County
Stationary Engineer 3 - Boiler Operator Lead - Stationary Engineer Lead
We need your leadership skills at Fircrest Residential Habilitation Center to perform skilled engineering and repair work related to boiler and HVAC operations. In this role you will supervise and train Steam Plant staff and manage the safe, efficient operation of three Hurst and Cleaver-Brooks high-pressure boilers. This is a great opportunity to use your knowledge and skills to help Transform Lives!
This King County job pays an additional 5% on top of the salary listed above!
Some of what you'll do:
- Manage the safe and efficient operation of a high pressure steam plant consisting of three high-pressure boilers with total steam output of 90,000 lbs per hour, and 2,608 boiler horsepower
- Supervise, train and schedule Steam Plant staff assigned to all three shifts in a 24/7 operation
- Observe and evaluate the work performance of Steam Plant staff providing effective, timely feedback
- Write evaluations for all subordinate staff assigned to the Steam Plant
- Maintain time sheets and track leave for subordinate staff
- Observe and repair gauges, meters, pumps, boilers, controls and safety equipment to insure proper and continuous overall operation of three steam generating units and hot water
- Operate feed pumps, condensate pumps, de-aerators and emergency generator when required
- Troubleshoot and make major and minor adjustments to boiler and HVAC equipment
- Work with schematics, drawings, sketches and operating manuals
- Test boiler room equipment for safe operation
- Test and chemically treat/clean boiler water, condensate, and mechanical room equipment as necessary and determine the required blow-down of boilers
- Ensures that all potable water temperatures are maintained between 100 and 110F at taps and the room temperatures fall between 65 and 75F
- Transfer fuel used as necessary and start up or secure standby equipment as required for load changes
- Clean steam plant equipment and assigned areas as required
Who should apply
Professionals with four years of experience in the operation, maintenance and/or repair of stationary or marine high pressure boilers and heating systems.
One year of experience as a Stationary Engineer 2 in State service.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Ability to lead and train employees in performing skilled steam plant work
- Ability to plan, layout, and assign work and give clear, concise instructions
- Skills of the basic operation and independent monitoring of low and high pressure heating plant systems
- Ability to prepare and maintain basic project reports and records including the completion of work requests
- Ability to operate rented heavy equipment such as man lifts and boom trucks, etc.
- Ability to work on roofs utilizing fall arrest/restraining systems
- Ability to work proficiently with computer programs, MS Office, Insight, Apogee, etc.
This announcement has been reopened to allow for additional applicants. If you have already applied for this job, you do not need to apply again-- your status remains unchanged.
Questions about this opportunity? Please contact DSHS Recruiter by email or at (360) 725-5885 and reference job number 09401.
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history may be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the job. This announcement may be used to fill multiple vacancies. Employees driving on state business must have a valid driver's license. Employees driving a privately owned vehicle on state business must have liability insurance on the privately owned vehicle
Washington State Department of Social and Health Services is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in any area of employment, its programs or services on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, marital status, race, creed, color, national origin, religion or beliefs, political affiliation, military status, honorably discharged veteran, Vietnam Era, recently separated or other protected veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental, physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability, equal pay or genetic information. Persons requiring accommodation in the application process or this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the Recruiter at (360) 725-5810. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call through Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6384.
Location: Shoreline, WA
Application Method: Online
Base Pay: $65,592 - $74,196 YR