ASPIRE TO POWER YOUR FUTURE
At Calpine, we give you the tools you need to chart your own career path in an engaging, fast-paced environment where you can learn from power industry leaders.
Whether you are a student seeking an internship that offers real-world experience, a recent graduate ready to build a rewarding career or a seasoned professional who wants to expand your horizons, Calpine provides meaningful opportunities and challenges.
Our learning and development platforms and educational reimbursement programs enable employees with initiative to explore their own potential in a dynamic and rewarding industry.
Job Summary: (includes but is not limited to the following, other duties may be assigned):
The Computer Aided Design Technician (CAD Tech) will be responsible for development of facilities drawings and construction plans for reservoir, steam gathering, vent collection, injection systems, and power plants using AutoCAD, hand drafting methods, and additional other drafting software tools. Working with the Document Control Engineering Specialist, maintains drawing/document control systems for all facilities drawings.
• Confirm current CAD software licensing information is available and any CAD software migration procedures are documented.
• Prepare system and facility drawings, schematics, diagrams and construction plans in all standard drawing formats, including 3D Modeling, using AutoCAD.
• Prepare plans, diagrams, schematics and as-built drawings from legacy hardcopy using scanning technology and raster to vector conversion software, or hand-drafting techniques when necessary and electronic data is not available.
• Organize and maintains CAD drawing control system for electronic and hard copy printed drawings, maps, and media.
• Assist with locating drawings, both electronic and hard copy.
• Utilize and maintain large drawing CAD department plotter.
• Understand map layering in AutoCAD software.
• Prepare custom maps, exhibits, displays, and presentation graphics using AutoCAD, Adobe, and Power Point for presentations.
• Produce (create, scan, plot) maps on short notice for internal and external customers.
• Provide GIS data and information, full cartography services, and maintain base mapping showing plant layouts, locations of hazardous materials, and safety equipment at each facility for all systems in support of government agencies (for permitting and compliance) and engineering staff (project planning, site preparation etc.). Works with multiple coordinate systems, conversions, and data conventions.
• Provide CAD maps for pre-project survey areas to communicate study areas for biological and archeological studies.
• Update and maintain Geysers Lease Boundaries Land Maps; including updating all lease owners and royalties.
• Assist with producing Prescribed Burning and Vegetation Management Planned Project Maps.
• Update and create Transmission and Operating Maps.
• Update 21kV system Pole Location Maps.
• Create detail drawings for Distributed Control System projects.
• Maintains a thorough working knowledge of all steamfield and power plant systems at the Geysers.
• Provide visual field inspections for ‘as-builts’ and ‘lockout/tagouts’ documentation of all Geysers new construction and existing system modifications.
• Maintain component standard drawings for field construction.
• Collect and utilize all manner of field data, measurements, and GPS coordinate information as needed in support of projects and EH&S department.
• Update One and Three Line plant drawings.
• Update plant connection diagrams and schematics.
• Recreate legacy ICE drawings into CAD files.
Wells and Water Systems
• Prepare and update geothermal well drawings including well schematics, drilling plans, 3D well courses, and the ability to interface with other well visualization software. Export data to other data formats, as well as import data from other software to incorporate into the map base.
• Create, update, and maintain CAD drawings of all Geysers permitted water systems.
• Journey level with 2-5 years of related experience
• Experience with AutoCAD preferred or GIS, trainable on AutoCAD required.
• Geysers experience preferred.
• Associate’s degree preferred. Additional education or experience will be considered in lieu of other requirement.
• Use of computer-aided design and drafting methods.
• Update and maintain online document databases.
• Understand and implement filing naming conventions.
• Familiarity with mechanical/electrical/power plant/geothermal systems preferred.
• Works closely with Plant Engineers and Managers, Resource and Drilling Personnel; Auto-Cad Drafters, Records Information Management Analysts, and Document Control Specialists.
• Engage with outside vendors, consultants, and construction contractors.
• Requires ability to multi-task on complex assignments, and organize time wisely.
• Must be able to work independently, and foresee solutions to arising issues.
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here.
Location: Middletown, CA
Application Method: Online
Base Pay: DOQ