The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) has an exciting opportunity for an experienced mechanic who wants to utilize their skills to work on a variety of motor vehicles and highway maintenance equipment in our Tumwater shop. We are looking for an Equipment Technician 3 to perform all aspects of preventative maintenance, inspection, and repair on all inventoried equipment including passenger vehicles, dump trucks, heavy equipment, and a variety of highway maintenance equipment. This position is critical in ensuring that equipment is running and ready to keep our highways free of hazards and open to the traveling public year-round. If you are a reliable, safety-minded mechanic, then we have an exciting opportunity for you!
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace.
To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
This position will perform the following work:
- Preventative maintenance, inspection, and correction of minor repairs on all WSDOT equipment.
- Troubleshoot, overhaul, and repair gas and diesel engines, transmissions, electrical & electronic systems, brakes, hydraulic systems, suspensions, steering and fuel systems.
- Safely operate manual transmission motor vehicles of 26,000 GVW and up, with or without trailers, in all weather conditions, day or night.
- Safely operate welders, drill press, grinder, press, hoist, air tools, jacks and other shop equipment.
- Fabricate, weld, and install additional equipment to vehicles.
- Maneuver in, on, around and under various pieces of equipment for the purpose of servicing, diagnostic testing, and repairing in an efficient manner.
- Operate a computer to maintain shop records.
- Keep shop safe, clean, and orderly.
- Abide by all safety policies and procedures.
Candidates for this position are required to have at least one of the following:
- Three or more years' experience performing preventative maintenance and repairs assisting a journey-level mechanic.
- Journey-level standing as a heavy equipment mechanic through completion of a recognized labor union apprenticeship program.
- One year of experience as a journey-level mechanic maintaining and repairing heavy-duty equipment.
In addition to one of the above, candidates are also required to have:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- A valid Washington State Commercial Driver's (CDL), Class A without air brakes restriction, with N endorsement or the ability to obtain one within 6 months of hire.
- Computer skills with the ability to operate Microsoft Office Suite and the Fleet Equipment Management System.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in the written form.
- Experience reading and understanding equipment manuals, blueprints, and technical drawings.
- Ability to move and transport up to 50 pounds.
- Must possess a basic set of mechanic hand tools.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Graduation from an accredited automotive technical college.
- Master Mechanic ASE certified.
- "C" Certified for Fuel Site Maintenance.
- Experience in minor repair work on heavy and light duty equipment.
- Experience following a preventative maintenance program, and determine work that needs to be done.
- Experience operating computerized diagnostic testing equipment, welders, drill presses, hoists, air tools, and jacks.
- Experience in following and preparing a pre activity safety plan.
- Experience communicating with a customer for vehicle repairs.
Condition of Employment:
The Department of Transportation is committed to an alcohol and drug free workplace. This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please click on the large "apply" button at the top of this announcement. If you have not done so previously, you will need to set up an account profile.
To be considered for this position you will need to:
Answer the supplemental questions.
Attach a cover letter and resume.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Robyn Lovely at 360-357-2665 or email to email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-OR-30521.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.
Location: Tumwater, WA
Application Method: Online
Base Pay: $51,240 - $59,436 YR