Employer: Department of the Army
About the Position: This position is located at Directorate of Public Works Operations & Maintenance Division, Building & Ground Branch, duty location Yakima Training Center (YTC), WA.
Learn more about this agency
- Follow state and local traffic laws for safe operation of engineering equipment (restricted traffic environments on - Government installations, over public roads and highways, or under cross-country conditions).
- Operate a variety of sizes and types of heavy equipment and vehicles safely by recognizing their operational limits (dump trucks, and trucks with special attachments such as flatbed, tilt bed, dump, tanker, lowboy tractor/trailer).
- Maneuver equipment recognizing limits on locations (e.g., hills, canyons, rolling terrain, permitted sanitary landfill, construction sites) with difficult terrain.
- Maintain equipment (e.g., check fluids, replenish fluids, examine filters, change filters, lubricate equipment) for operational readiness.
- Maintain predetermined fire breaks on flat or rolling terrain tracking progress and reporting progress daily
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position. Temporary duty away from the work place is occasional at 10% or less to attend training and/or meetings.
Conditions of Employment:
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- Must complete a pre-placement and an annual medical examination. This position requires that the incumbent must complete a pre-placement and an annual medical examination.
- The position requires the employee to wear protective clothing and other safety equipment.
- Required to obtain and continuously meet requirements for a National Interagency Fire Qualifications System (NIFQS) rating of a firefighter.
- Must complete annual refresher requirements for wildland fire, dozer support.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Washington State Class A Commercial (CDL) driver?s license.
- This position is covered by the Alcohol and Drug Abuse - Prevention and Control Program. The employee is required to pass a required urinalysis testing before being appointed; and tested periodically thereafter.
- May be required to meet and maintain the minimum physical requirements established for this position in an YTC Wild - Land Firefighting support role - passing standardized 1-mile work capacity test, in 16 minutes
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element):
Ability to do the work of an Engineering Equipment Operator (MVO) without more than normal supervision. This experience includes driving of trucks or heavy equipment over uneven roads and grounds, and in narrow, steep unpaved areas; driving dump trucks, or multi-purpose tractors to clean up work areas, smooth uneven ground, make trenches, or drive hauling equipment used to transport material, carriage and disposal of excavated earth, or other heavy equipment from one place to another.
Failure to meet this Screen out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision
- Ability to Drive Safely (Motor Vehicles)
- Ability To Interpret Instructions, Specifications, etc. (related to mobile equipment operation)
- Ability To Operate Safely (Non-Motor Vehicle)
- Operation of Motor Vehicles
- Reliability and Dependability as a Engineering Equipment Operator
- Work Practices (includes keeping things neat, clean, and in order)
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
Location: Yakima, WA
Application Method: Online
Base Pay: $23.47 - $27.38 HR