ASPIRE TO POWER YOUR FUTURE
At Calpine, we give you the tools you need to chart your own career path in an engaging, fast-paced environment where you can learn from power industry leaders.
Whether you are a student seeking an internship that offers real-world experience, a recent graduate ready to build a rewarding career or a seasoned professional who wants to expand your horizons, Calpine provides meaningful opportunities and challenges.
Our learning and development platforms and educational reimbursement programs enable employees with initiative to explore their own potential in a dynamic and rewarding industry.
Job Summary: (includes but is not limited to the following; other duties may be assigned):
This ICE Technician III position will report to the Technical Services High Voltage Team that builds, operates and maintains low, medium and high voltage overhead and underground electrical distribution and transmission systems, providing auxiliary power and start up capabilities for many plants and pumping stations. Responsibilities include pole line maintenance and replacement, conductor stringing and underground cable installation. Maintains and repairs electrical equipment and instrumentation. Monitors, maintains, and makes adjustments and repairs of high voltage electrical equipment in and around 115 & 230 KV switchyards as necessary according to design and vendor specifications, to assure facilities operate in the most safe, economic and efficient manner. Monitor, maintain, and repair plant/field electrical, instrumentation, and control systems including generators, transformers, switchyard equipment and switchgear. Perform routine trouble shooting activities. Use Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) to effectively accomplish required maintenance in and efficient and organized manner. Optimize plant preventative maintenance program to meet OEM recommendations, regulatory requirements, and corporate maintenance philosophy. Install and maintain field communication distribution equipment including overhead fiber optic and copper signal installations. Responsible for assisting maintaining logs, manuals, records, drawings and operating procedures in a neat and professional manner. Provide written reports on system conditions when required. Incorporates safe behavior into all activities and consistently complies with all established safety and health policies and procedures, helps to identify and eliminate or actively manage risks in all work activities. Some local, infrequent travel may be required.
• ICE Technician III (High Voltage); senior level; recognized technical expertise.
• Performs a variety of complex technical service/support duties requiring specialized knowledge.
• Regularly makes decisions on non-routine or escalated technical issues.
• Independently prioritizes and executes responsibilities effectively for a single trade, group of related tasks or functional area.
• Checks own work and possibly the work of others; work results are of the highest quality standards and advanced technical competency.
• Errors may be serious, usually not subject to direct verification or check.
• Duties and tasks reflect substantial variety and complexity.
• Resolves the most complex technical issues, conferring with Team Leader occasionally; may serve as resource to others in resolution of complex issues.
• Works under limited supervision.
• Prioritizes own weekly schedule and may guide others in the completion of tasks within clearly defined schedules as set by management.
• Regularly provides on-the-job skills training to others in complex technical areas.
• Pole line maintenance work, including but not limited to pole replacements; install conductor: primary, secondary, fiber optic and telecommunications.
• Perform pole line inspections, draft reports, and support maintenance of records and updates to operating and single line diagrams.
• Switching/operation of overhead devices.
• Establishing electrically safe work conditions for personnel safety.
• Perform medium voltage cable splicing and terminations.
• Perform switchyard corrective and preventative maintenance.
• Oversee contractors in performance of similar tasks/responsibilities.
• Support operations requests.
• This position is subject to call outs and after-hours work.
• This position will require being in a DOT random Drug and Alcohol Pool and California Highway Patrol ‘Pull Notice Program’.
• High School Diploma and degree from technical/vocational school or equivalent experience. Documented graduation from a recognized Lineman Climbing - technical/vocational school is a plus.
• At least 5+ years’ experience in high voltage and communications systems work required, including pole and structure climbing and pole top/bucket truck rescue qualified. 10+ years’ experience strongly preferred.
• At least 5+ years’ experience required performing pole maintenance and/or line construction, including performance of respective safety responsibilities and tasks, 10+ years’ experience strongly preferred.
• Ability to successfully work as part of a team
• Experience in providing on the job skills training to others.
• Strong mechanical aptitude with a good understanding of physics, electricity and mathematics.
• Electronics knowledge a plus
• Basic certifications/licensures. Valid state driver’s license.
• Must possess a current California commercial CDL (minimum Class ‘B’) or ability to obtain one within 6 months of employment.
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
Location: Middletown, CA
Application Method: Online
Base Pay: DOQ