The South Central Region is looking for a motivated and hardworking individual to fill the role of Highway Maintenance Worker 2 located in Walla Walla, WA. The Highway Maintenance Worker is responsible for performing daily maintenance work in the Walla Walla Maintenance Facility (Area 4) of the South Central region; which consists of 11 employees (8 Highway Maintenance Worker 2s, 1 Maintenance Mechanic 3s, and 2 Highway Maintenance Worker 3s).
This individual will plan and perform a multitude of maintenance tasks to provide the safe travel of goods, services, and people by way of maintaining state highways, roadsides, infrastructure, and right of way. This includes repairing roadways and roadway shoulders, performing snow and ice removal, establishing and maintaining culverts and catch basins, removing debris, maintaining roadside vegetation, and providing traffic control for these operations. This position supports continued safe and uninhibited travel for the public across Washington State highways.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
This position will perform the following:
- Proficiently operate a variety of Class A highway equipment safely and efficiently. (May be required to operate Class B and Class C equipment for roadway maintenance activities as needed).
- Plan daily work activities, document progress and expenditures within budgetary constraints, and prepare K5 and State Force work estimates.
Order materials, supplies, and equipment within purchasing guidelines.
- Lead Pre-Activity Safety Plan meetings, correct unsafe situations, guide and direct fellow crew members in the proper use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Operate spray equipment to apply herbicides to right-of-ways in compliance with laws; and create records and monitor chemical inventories associated with herbicide use.
- Apply anti-icing compounds, and remove snow and ice from road surfaces; which include operation of heavy equipment.
- Repair and maintain drainage facilities and structures, roadway surfaces, roadside hardware, guardrails, fences, shoulders, and right-of-way; this includes working with hot asphalt reaching 350° Fahrenheit by shoveling, raking, and hauling, etc.
- Report any signage illegally posted, encroachments, or other irregularities on the highway, and remove roadway obstructions.
- Paint and apply thermoplastic guide arrows and crosswalks.
- Follow traffic control plans and perform traffic control operations; which require standing for long periods of time through work zones and accidents.
- Perform minor preventative maintenance and mechanical repairs on equipment, traffic devices, and crash attenuators.
- Perform grounds keeping and shop care for maintenance facilities and associated yard, parking, and storage areas.
- Provide excellent customer service when interacting with the traveling public.
- Lift and manipulate up to 50 pounds of various materials in inclement weather; while traversing uneven and steep terrain adjacent to traffic and heavy equipment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required qualifications for this position are:
- High School Diploma or GED (must be 18 years of age at time of appointment).
- One (1) year experience working in highway maintenance, roadway construction, or related experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and use of heavy equipment used for road maintenance.
- Current Class A or Class B CDL and medical card (See below requirements).
- The ability to lift and manipulate up to 50 pounds of various materials.
- The ability to traverse uneven and steep terrain adjacent to traffic and heavy equipment in adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to work any shift including evenings and weekends to meet deadlines and required job functions.
- Ability to climb ladders, climb in and out of equipment, work at varying height levels, and in confined spaces.
- Ability to work with hazardous materials, including but not limited to: herbicides, paints, solvents, petroleum, and adhesive materials.
- Effective communication skills with diverse groups utilizing oral, written, and electronic communication methods.
- Basic computer skills to communicate, capture, and retrieve information.
Candidates will be considered for Highway Maintenance Worker 1 or Highway Maintenance Worker 2 depending upon qualifications, experience, and skills as follows:
Highway Maintenance Worker 1 Requirements ($38,376.00 - $46,452.00 Annually)
Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class B, without airbrakes restriction and current medical card.
One (1) year of experience in highway engineering, highway maintenance, operating a truck (26,000 GVW or above), or operating heavy equipment while performing work such as landscaping, farming, forestry, construction, or other related field.
Highway Maintenance Worker's must obtain the following within six (6) months of employment:
Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A with N (cargo/tanker) endorsement without airbrake restrictions.
WSDOT certification to operate a dump truck and front end loader.
Washington State Flagging Certification.
Washington State Herbicide License with Right-of-Way.
Highway Maintenance Worker 1 shall advance to Highway Maintenance Worker 2 after completion of twelve (12) months' time in grade and completion of the Highway Maintenance Worker In-Training Plan.
Highway Maintenance Worker 2 Requirements ($46,452.00 - $56,568.00 Annually)
Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A with N (cargo/tanker) endorsement without airbrake restrictions and current medical card.
Two (2) years highway maintenance, roadway construction, or related experience OR one (1) year experience as a Highway Maintenance Worker 1 with completed In-Training Plan.
Preferred qualifications for this position are:
- Washington State Traffic Control Flagger Certification.
- Washington State Traffic Control Supervisor Certification.
- Washington State Pilot Escort Certification.
- Washington State Public Pesticide Applicators License with - Right-of-Way, Aquatics, or Public Health endorsement.
- First Aid Certified.
- CPR Certified.
- Ability to interpret, comprehend, and implement traffic control plans in accordance with M54-44 and MUTCD.
- Ability to interpret, comprehend, and implement snow and ice control plans and operate various equipment to demonstrate this experience.
- Ability to interpret, comprehend, and implement Maintenance Manual and understand Integrated Roadside - Vegetation Management Plan.
Condition of Employment: The Department of Transportation is committed to an alcohol and drug free workplace. These positions are subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Highway Administration. For more information, please go to: DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
How to Apply: Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. You may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position, you will need to attach a resume and cover letter to your electronic application, and answer the supplemental questions. Your cover letter should describe how your experience, training, and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position. To view the entire job announcement and apply, please visit: Highway Maintenance Worker 2.
Contact us: For inquiries about this position, please contact Renee Mason via email to MasonR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please reference recruitment number 18DOT-SCR-50380.
The Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call or email the recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.
Location: Walla Walla, WA
Application Method: Online
Base Pay: $38,376 - $56,568 YR